Wednesday 7 October 2009

tea obsession & zucchini muffins

I can’t believe it’s already Wednesday! Favorite things of the moment:

Tazo Green Ginger Tea. I love coffee, but lately, I’ve converted into a tea drinker [or maybe I just bought this variety because it is my favorite green color]

100_6276    

I love the spiciness of the ginger and the hint of pear. Any tea drinkers out there?

100_6273

Zucchini muffins with dark chocolate: someone bought 6 zukes at the farmers’ market over the past couple of weeks…

100_6253

Zucchini Muffins {adapted from Smitten Kitchen}

Yield: 24 muffins

3 eggs
1 cup olive or vegetable oil (applesauce)
1 3/4 cups sugar (1 cup)
2 cups grated zucchini
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour (ww pastry flour)
3 teaspoons cinnamon (3 + if you love cinnamon like me)
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (omitted)
1 cup dried cranberries, raisins or chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk. Mix in oil and sugar, then zucchini and vanilla.

Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt, as well as nuts, chocolate chips and/or dried fruit, if using. Stir into the egg mixture.

Bake muffins for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.

Spaghetti squash: other people reminisce about childhoods filled with delicious baked goods or foods we don’t let ourselves eat regularly anymore. I remember my mom making us spaghetti squash…I guess that’s what I get for growing up in a house full of health nuts.  A little olive oil, carrots, parmesan, garlic, and lots of black pepper = perfection.

100_6270 

Some of you might remember a little commentary I did on Kimberly’s Snyder’s Good Morning America appearance earlier this summer. I’ve since been chatting with Kim about alternative medicine and nutrition and have a little interview on her blog if you want to check it out. I participated in this exchange because I want to help bridge the gap between nutritionists who focus on alternative medicine and allopathically trained dietitians. I think we can learn a lot from eachother…I will also be featuring an interview with Kim later this week, so check back soon.

What are your thoughts on alternative medicine? Anyone have experience with different therapies? 

Tomorrow I’m watching a cardiac catheterization…so glad it’s not a major invasive surgery {there is a reason I didn’t go to med school}.

0