Wednesday 9 March 2011

rainy wednesday

It rained all day, and I have to confess that I actually enjoy rain. Despite the fact that the sun is hiding, I like the sound of rain, the slightly melancholy mood it potentiates, and the excuse it provides to eat soup and homemade bread.

IMG_0743     

[Even without the heat on, my apt is 60 billion degrees, which is awesome for proofing bread.]

I love homemade sourdough bread, but I decided to try this no-knead bread from Mark Bittman since I haven’t made any starter yet. It was pretty easy; you can quickly mix up the dough before work and bake it when you come back. Using whole wheat flour makes the bread especially dense and gives it a nutty flavor.

IMG_0760

And this butternut squash and apple soup has become one of my favorites. I pre-cooked the squash yesterday to save time. Confession: I never roast the spices. And I don’t measure them either. But it always seems to work out okay.

IMG_0752

In other news, I’m kind of in love with running in the rain. Although I splashed through some major puddles and was completely soaked after an hour, I see rain as a sign that spring is coming (finally…geez!), and I’m pretty excited about that.

Rain…love it or hate it?

0