Saturday 24 December 2011

happy christmakuhwali

So the space between Thanksgiving and Christmas has been pretty busy. Lots of thrifting and scouring etsy for unique gifts and making [and eating] delicious food. And lots of running to temper those things because the weather has been snowless, and no one wants to turn into a human donut in a single month.

IMG_0524

Eating at holiday parties is always interesting. I usually get away with my food selections because people a) assume that I have weird dietitian food preferences or b) I bring a vegetarian dish. Otherwise, ethical eating can be a great conversation starter or surefire way to become uninvited to someone’s next dinner party.

IMG_0527

For one such xmas gathering, Dave and I made flatbread pizza using this dough recipe and adding goat cheese, onions, sundried tomatoes, and basil for toppings. It was so popular that I didn’t get any.

3ce451582e6a11e19e4a12313813ffc0_7

And although Christmas is definitely not about the gifts for me (in fact, I would be ok without; the commercialization of this particular holiday is kind of obnoxious), I kind of love artsy gift tags and craft paper {or paper grocery bags, courtesy of Meijer). And it’s super fun to pick out gifts for others that are not necessarily expensive but still thoughtful.

IMG_0526

And I finally experienced homemade ice cream, thanks to a collaborative effort from the Friday night culinary club

IMG_0528

I made peanut butter cups to slice into mix, and they were pretty great, not to mention super easy to make. It literally takes 10 minutes.

IMG_0529

The result? So much richer than store-bought ice cream. And I’m super excited about the wealth of recipes that exists…and that I’ll actually recognize all the ingredients in each batch.

IMG_0530

The Christmas eve craziness at my house is about to begin…but hope that you enjoy the festivities, wherever you might be. :)

0