Friday 30 July 2010

get more greens!

Nothing better than fresh cilantro and basil from the garden, which were both incorporated into hummus from ED&BV. Dreena has some awesome recipes, and I hate to admit it, but when it comes to hummus, it really does help when you measure ingredients.

DSCF3549 

I think this Cuisipro Herb Keeper is pretty cool. No one likes soggy herbs.

herb keeper

Our lettuce is out of control! The back row is romaine, and the front is some kind of spicy green. I’m not really sure what to do with these, but they are strong. Maybe they’d be good in a sandwich?

DSCF3551 

In the winter, it’s sometimes hard for me to want to eat cold salads when it’s equally frigid outside. Summer is a perfect time to welcome an abundance of greens into my daily eats.

Joanie’s Salad {named after its inventor}

  DSCF3545 

ingredients :: romaine lettuce, cashews, dried cranberries, shredded Swiss cheese, chopped apple and pear ::

dressing :: 2/3 cup sugar, 1/2 c lemon juice, 1 T chopped onion, 1/2 c. oil, 1 T dijon mustard, 1 T poppyseeds (I use half on whole bowl of salad) ::

Why should we even bother with greens?!

One of my fellow food editors {Megan of Making Love in the Kitchen} has a great post on different greens and their benefits, some of which include:

  • antioxidant power and phytochemical content
  • fiber
  • calcium content (watch spinach, which contains oxalic acid and can prevent calcium absorption)
  • B vitamins, vitamin A, C, K, iron and potassium

Happy 31st Anniversary to my fabulous mom and dad!

 DSCF3567

Ok, so I know that cake doesn’t fit into the greens family, but this recipe for banana cake from Joy the Baker is amazing. Glorified banana bread {but lighter and fluffier} + peanut butter frosting. I halved the sugar, used half whole wheat flour, and subbed yogurt + 1 tsp baking soda for the sour cream.

Enjoy!

What’s your fave way to eat greens?

On the running front, it’s a little cooler this week, and I’ve managed to run a couple 5 and 6 milers followed by an easy 3.5 miles yesterday…definitely appreciate the cool down!

Happy Weekend!

0