Sunday 1 August 2010

berry heaven

My mom and I picked a mountain of blueberries this week…so far, we’ve frozen 7 pints! We’re lucky to have some friends who have more blueberries than they can pick and do not sell their produce; this means free blueberries for us.

DSCF3610  

nutritional benefits of blueberries

  • contain anthocynanins [colored pigment], which serve as antioxidants; may assist in brain health
  • contain ellagic acid, which is cancer preventative
  • contain pectin, a form of soluble fiber
  • contain tannins, which may reduce inflammation
  • 1 cup contains about 81 calories and is considered a very good source of vitamin C, manganese, and dietary fiber and a good source of vitamin E

We bought these blackberries at the farmers’ market, but they were really sour. Once rinsed, they tasted a little bit better but still not fantastic.

DSCF3595

Naturally, the only thing to do was to make blackberry sauce. Just add a little water and sweetener of your choice and cook down [you can even do this in the microwave].

DSCF3627

Blackberry sauce tastes pretty great on top of oatmeal waffles. I like to use whole wheat flour and brush coconut oil on my waffle iron before cooking each waffle. I actually made 2 separate batches today, one for my parents and me and one for my brother, who stopped home from camp {he’s working as a counselor this summer} this afternoon.

I’ve noticed quite a few berry recipes popping up in the blog world lately. Check these out for more ideas [photos courtesy of the blogs below]:

Any other berry fanatics out there?

0