Tuesday 3 August 2010

spontaneity & sandwiches

Sometimes you just want to make peanut butter cookies at 11:30 pm after an exciting episode of hgtv design star {anyone else hooked?!}…even though you are a dietitian. Hey, I used whole wheat and spelt flour…that counts for something, right?!

 DSCF3648   

I’ve always promoted moderation, and I think that an almost-midnight batch of cookies is worth it.

I think the same rule of spontaneity applies when you return to a mysterious bag of basil on your front porch. I guess it’s pesto night.

DSCF3657

Did you know you can also make pesto from fresh asparagus?

I went running in the humid 80 degree weather and almost died. Everyone I ran by was biking, which was probably a much smarter idea. I’m so jealous of those people who actually run better in the heat and humidity. Maybe I should take up bikram yoga?

:: building a better sandwich ::

To everyone who claims that a sandwich just doesn’t do the job at lunch…maybe you need to reassess your building skills? A few tips to help your sandwich tide you through more than a couple hours:

Make sure to include a protein source. Protein takes longer to digest and will provide longer lasting energy. This sandwich is protein packed with tofu and eggs + cukes and pickles. Try hummus or beans for other vegetarian source of protein.

100_3464 (2) - Copy

Use whole wheat bread or wraps. Extra fiber = more complete satiation. Try this combo: hummus, sprouts, lettuce, cukes, and tomato.

DSCF3590   

Add veggies for crunch and fiber. Eating more slowly leads to better digestion [check out Kim Snyder’s post on digestion here]. Try starchy vegetables like sweet potato or some of my faves: cukes, zukes, and sprouts.

100_3556

What are your winning sandwich combos? I find that eating fresh vegetables at lunch translates into feeling better and more energized throughout the rest of the day.

Job interviewing in Kath’s neighborhood this week!

0