Tuesday 29 November 2011

a very un-foodie thanksgiving

So, last year’s Thanksgiving was a kitchen marathon of sorts (aka Foodbuzz 24^3 event), which allowed for a lot of culinary creativity and local food. It was a fun (but exhausting) day culminated with $80 worth of homemade ice cream.

Unfortunately, this year I caught the plague of death, which got me banned from the kitchen and all food preparation. So much for getting the flu shot this year [totally bitter about this].

IMG_1986

So, instead I present two post-Thankgiving recipes. The Brussels sprouts can really be made whenever. I’ve come to appreciate this vegetable after years of associating it with water chestnuts, jicama, and beets (the other 3 foods I despise). It’s quite miraculous, actually.

For this recipe, I halved the sprouts, tossed them with olive oil, salt, garlic, and pepper and roasted them @ 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. After roasting, I drizzled them with a tablespoon or two of maple syrup and added some dried cranberries.

IMG_2005

A break from traditional turkey soup (although that was also consumed in our house post T-day). I made a basic pizza crust and topped it with a thin layer of cheese, sundried tomatoes, leftover turkey, onions, and mozzarella cheese.  

IMG_2011

I felt better on Thanksgiving day and was super thankful for that among other things. And it was pretty fantastic to get 4 days off…one of the perks of switching to outpatient nutrition.

photo (6)

Looks like I’ll be downing the vitamin C and ordering more wheat grass stat. Being sick is not something I’d like to repeat anytime soon…

Any favorite ways to use up Tgiving leftovers?

0