Monday 7 November 2011

we eat good food


Today I got an appreciation of how much I’ve learned the last 6 years of being a nutritarian.  A co-worker was curious about my squash and I said “it’s squash mixed in with a little veggie bean soup.”   I gave her a taste and she said, “You must have added lots of spices.”  I said, no that’s actually the taste of the squash.  It’s very flavorful.   She said, I have no idea how to cook that.  I said, I just threw it in the oven for an hour.  Someone else chimed in saying you need olive oil to keep it from drying out, and I said, no, just put it in whole and the moisture stays in.  I think when the conversation ended, my friend still felt that squash was beyond her skill level (despite her Ph.D. in astrophysics).  I suspect she thought you had to do something fancy to make it taste that good.    That was me too 6 years ago.  I didn’t realize how good fresh high quality produce could taste.  I thought you had to know a lot and put a lot of effort into making food taste good.  I relied on restaurants to supply me with the really good food.  I figured, they were the professionals.  Now I realize whole foods hold fantastic flavors.  Processed and restaurant foods can’t compete. 

It’s good to realize this because I sometimes get the silly notion that I am deprived because I don’t get to enjoy the same foods as everyone else.  Sure, my food can’t compete with ice cream for pure stimulation.  But pretty much everything else I make tastes a lot, and I mean, a lot, better than what I used to eat.