Monday 28 September 2009

de-stressing

I really loved reading about your life ambitions…they definitely made me smile. Dream on, blogworld…you’re all amazing.

Even with a crazy workload this weekend, I didn’t exactly bury myself in the books. I ran in my favorite park, made a trip to Soulard, and went to yoga {stress = unbelievable muscle tightness…ick}. My roommate (also a dietetic intern) got a bunch of basil from the community garden at her rotation site, so we had our first experience with homemade pesto. It was pretty delicious.

100_6116 

[note the tomatoes, lettuce, and zukes from farmers’ market]

I also made a coconut black beans, which incorporated 3 of my favorite ingredients: black beans, avocado, and coconut milk. This dish is also a good way to include protein, fiber, and monounsaturated fat (and medium chain triglycerides in the coconut oil) into your eats. Oh, that’s also mango on top. Interesting combo, but I promise it’s really good!

100_6074 

I baked homemade bread from scratch. There is something really therapeutic about sticking your hands in dough or mixing ingredients with a spatula. Baking has always been one of my stress relievers.

 100_6092   

Why is chronic stress harmful?

When faced with stress, a flood of hormones is released in the “flight or fight” response. Normally, the body is able to recover from acute stress. However, continual or chronic stress can be damaging and may lead to conditions such as

  • impaired immunity
  • depression
  • diabetes
  • hair loss
  • heart disease
  • hyperthyroidism
  • obesity
  • ulcers

What are some ways you ease the stress in your life?

I have a huge test tomorrow, but I’ll be back after that for a post on the progress the SLU interns made in our gardens this morning [it was a seriously good time].

100_6126

I also start my cardiovascular rotation tomorrow, so there’ll likely be some posts on heart-health coming soon...

0

p.s.

Kristen of Eating RD tried out Dan’s Pumpkin Spice Bars…read her review here!