Thursday 3 September 2009

quinoa and a diabetes tutorial

Well, friends, week one of my clinical rotations is nearly over. I’ve really enjoyed interacting with patients so far, and I’m definitely becoming more comfortable in the hospital setting. I’ve enjoyed getting to know the other interns and having discussions about both clinical care and other nutrition topics like local foods and eating raw.

Speaking of raw, one of the interns brought this bar in for us to sample today. It was pretty good and reminded me a little of the Larabar. The best part? Raw Revolution bars are vegan and do not contain gluten, wheat, corn, soy, trans fat, cholesterol or refined sugar.

 caag

I went for a quick run after class tonight and came home for one of my favorite go-to meals. Quinoa is a  fabulous complete protein that only takes 15 minutes prep time at the most {more info on quinoa}. I have to say that I really prefer it served with fresh vegetables.

100_5751  

In the bowl:

  • quinoa (obviously)
  • chopped tomato
  • grated zucchini
  • garlic
  • cilantro
  • seasoned with: pepper, parmesan cheese, and a tad of olive oil

As you can see, I’m really great at measuring things out. Honestly, I just tend to mix and match until everything tastes good.

Some of you mentioned wanting to learn more about diabetes and its causes. Below is a little review for your information {and enjoyment}. Graphics courtesy of Karen Steitz, St. Louis University.

The two major types of diabetes are type I and type II. This graphic depicts the development of type I diabetes. In type I diabetes, which can be the result of a genetic defect or perhaps environmental stimuli, the beta cells of the pancreas are destroyed, causing a severe insulin deficiency (the beta cells produce insulin).  Type I patients require exogenous insulin because they don’t produce any.

image

In type II diabetes, insulin resistance is the major effect. The beta cells are not able to produce enough insulin to signal glucose to be taken up into the cells.  This can eventually lead to beta cell exhaustion and insulin dependency (which requires insulin shots).

image

So, what do we tell patients with diabetes? Exercise is beneficial for both types, especially for type II. Spreading carbohydrates throughout the day is important to manage blood sugar levels. We focus first on lifestyle modifications for type II patients. Often reducing weight increases insulin sensitivity and improves the condition.

To reduce your risk of acquiring type II diabetes: maintain a healthy weight, eat a balanced diet, and exercise.

Anybody learn anything new today? If you have specific questions about diabetes, feel free to ask. If I don’t know the answers, I’m sure the dietetic intern think tank can help me out.

Tomorrow is Friday! Hello, 3 day weekend!

0