Wednesday 16 September 2009

is it amazing? [my take on amazing grass…p.s. i apparently like brackets]

Sorry for the lack of post-age this week. I’ve completely switched gears [to distribution aka foodservice], and I’m finding myself completely out of my element. I do have foodservice experience, but honestly…I feel uncomfortable in this setting. Needless to say, this experience is really stretching me in many ways. 

Teri Jo from Amazing Grass sent me a generous sampling of their products {thanks, thanks!}, and I was really excited because other bloggers have raved about them…and I was super excited because I love snail mail and anyone who uses the traditional postal system.

100_5928

 All of the energy bars from Amazing Grass are:

  • Raw
  • Cold Processed
  • Alkaline
  • Gluten Free
  • Dairy Free
  • Vegan
  • One problem I have with any sort of supplement is the bioavailability of the nutrients in pill versus whole food form. I’m a big advocate of consuming whole foods because you receive nutritional benefits beyond just a concentrated burst of one nutrient or a bunch of random vitamins and minerals in pills that may actually work against one another and inhibit absorption. In addition, some compounds in whole foods work synergistically in ways we don’t understand. When we separate these compounds, they may lose their ability to confer increased nutritional benefits.

    Creators of Amazing Grass Green SuperFood say it is considered a whole food because it contains cereal grasses that can’t be isolated and put into a synthetic multi-vitamin. So many Americans fail to include the recommended 5-9 servings of fruits and vegetables into their daily diets, and just one serving of AG Green SuperFood can provide the antioxidant power of 7 servings of fruits and vegetables.

    More about Green SuperFood:

  • Naturally balanced source of antioxidants, B- vitamins, carotenoids, phytonutrients, enzymes, dietary fiber and essential fatty acids
  • Sustains energy naturally and boosts your immune system
  • Probiotics and enzymes to aid digestion and absorption
  • Complete raw food with powerful antioxidants
  • Alkaline green plant foods help balance acidic pH levels
  • Non dairy, Gluten free, Non-GMO, Vegan
  • 100_5939

    Sounds pretty impressive so far, right? I’ve only tried the Chocolate SuperFood and have to say it did taste a bit grassy, but hey, it is composed of organic wheat grass, barley grass, alfalfa, spirulina, chlorella, spinach, and broccoli. While I can’t really comment on the effectiveness of the products, I like that they are organic and do not contain GMOs. I’ll keep you updated on the correlation between AG consumption and energy levels. Has anyone tried AG and noticed any benefits?

    100_5941 

    Sorry for the lack of recipes lately, but I’ve been eating quick fixes like hummus + zukes & tomatoes in tortillas for lack of time. Hopefully, my upcoming posts will make up for this.

    Coming soon…reviews of raw organic vegan energy bars from Love Force and a guest post slash energy bar tutorial from one of my fellow dietetic interns {get ready blogworld, it’s gonna be sweet}!

    100_5915

    0