Saturday 15 May 2010

Breakfast micro-salad

Here's a salad I made several times this week. It was so filling I often spread it out to lunch even though it has under 500 calories.



















Maybe it doesn't look the greatest but it takes a longer time to eat if you don't chop it down with the food processor. I like it both ways.

Ingredients:
Lettuce and/or spinach, 5-10 oz
cauliflower and/or broccoli (optional), 0.5-1.5 lbs
Fresh herbs if you want (e.g., chives, dill, cilantro), optional, I just do this when I have some in the garden
lime juice, from one lime
fresh berries if in season, otherwise frozen (16 oz)--This time of year it's fresh strawberries and blackberries, very yummy. But I don't shop every day so other days it's frozen cherries and blueberries or banana, etc.
1 orange, peeled
1/2 cup edamame (optional)
1 Tbsp seeds (e.g., sunflower, chia, flax, hemp) (optional)

I chop everything except the seeds, edamame and lime in the food processor. I grind the seeds in the coffee grinder, juice the lime, and add them. You can chop the edamame in the food processor too.