Sunday 23 May 2010

Today's microsalad

This is a combination I've been having a lot lately because strawberries have been cheap and delicious! I vary the amount and type of greens so today's is just an example. Sometimes I used kale or cabbage instead of bok choy or lettuce. I also don't measure things out specifically, this is just what they came out to be when I weighed them.

Ingredients:
Romaine lettuce, 4.6 oz
broccoli, 1 stalk (peel the outer stalk layer)
cauliflower, 1/2 lb
spinach, 4 oz
bok choy, 8 oz
1 lb strawberries (big box)
6 oz blackberries (small box)
another fruit if you want, e.g., pear, apple, orange (peeled, deseeded, sliced)
juice of 1 lime
1 oz fresh squeezed orange juice
2 Tbsp seeds, grind if desired (e.g., flax which you need to grind, chia, hemp, sunflower)

Chop the veggies in a food processor using the s-blade. trim the strawberries, then chop them with the other fruit in a food processor. They will liquify but I like them chunky so I don't fully puree them. Do it to your desired chunkiness. Combine everything except the seeds in a large bowl. I then dish them out into 3 tupperware bowls to have with brekky, lunch and dinner. They are like dessert even though they are loaded with veggies! I wait to add the seeds until mealtime. It seems fresher that way.

Here's a picture of one bowl with a small spoon in it.