Friday 1 April 2011

favorites

I love buying spices at my hometown health store. They seem fresher, and they’re usually less expensive than buying an entire jar. Plus, I’m nerdy, and I like making my own labels.

IMG_0962

Snobby joes are one of my favorite make-ahead meals. If you don’t like super spicy food, don’t add 3 tablespoons of chili powder like I did. It may cause crying.

 IMG_1008

Lentils are the base of this dish, and they’re pretty amazing, especially if you’re trying to find sources of vegetarian protein:

lentils

  • in the legume family
  • 18 grams of protein per cup (cooked)
  • 16 grams of fiber
  • excellent source of folate
  • good source of iron, phosphorus, thiamin, and potassium

Although they probably would be better paired with naan, I tried a new recipe for honey whole wheat rolls that turned out pretty well. And yes, you have to use yeast.

IMG_0999

It should be noted that snobby joes taste much better after being refrigerated overnight. Something magical happens to the flavors. Seriously.

Anyone else have a good lentil recipe? Leave a comment if you do!

I’m going to make a sourdough starter soon, and I’m really excited about this. It makes yeast bread baking a cinch. Tutorial to follow…

Happy Friday (and April)!

0