Wednesday 8 August 2012

adventures in yogurt making


One of my culinary goals this summer has been to make my own yogurt, especially after being frustrated with the lack of organic options at the store (Stonyfield Organic is actually owned by Dannon).  

I browsed through numerous blogs with complicated steps from ovens to coolers to mini incubators...but this method is the simplest and has worked every single time (ok, so twice). 

Supplies: 
  • crockpot (I got mine at a thrift store for $10)
  • kitchen thermometer
  • heavy saucepan
  • cloth canning bag or cheesecloth
  • half gallon 2% milk
  • starter-plain yogurt of your choice (must have live, active cultures)

Process: 
1) a:  turn crockpot on high. b) use local//organic milk- 2% or higher is better 


2) heat milk on medium until it reaches about 185-190 degrees F. 


3) place pan in a sinkful of cold water (apparently there was some dishsoap hanging out in my sink) and let cool until at ~100 degrees F. 


4) stir starter into 1 cup of milk. you need 1 T starter per 2 cups of milk (usually about 4 tablespoons). pour the remainder of the milk into heated crockpot and switch crockpot off. 


5) add starter + milk mixture to milk in crockpot and stir. place the lid on crockpot and cover with a towel overnight.

6) in the morning, take the whole crockpot and stash in the fridge for 2-4 hrs. You can strain the yogurt after this step if you want to. I use a cloth bag I found in the canning aisle to drain about half the yogurt before mixing it all together. 



7) add fresh fruit, cinnamon, and agave or toppings of your choice. 


I like this recipe because I can control the sugar content and customize flavors based on my fruit preference of the day. The Michigan peaches have been amazing and are my favorite addition lately.

Let me know if you try this! It seems like a lot of steps, but it's really not, and once you've done it a couple of times you won't even need the recipe anymore.