Thursday 28 October 2010

a sweet dilemma

As I was running today, I saw a sign outside a local dentist’s office that said “cash for candy” and offered $1/pound of candy turned in. Genius.

  snickers =  us bill

Now, you know I’m completely in favor of moderation, and this includes eating candy (hello, dark chocolate), but the problem is that our country has lost sight of moderation’s true meaning. The amount of candy a child collects on Halloween definitely does not fall into that moderation category, especially since junk food is no longer a special treat in our society…it is everywhere.

candy

Could there be a more perfect time to teach kids about investing in health?! It may take a few years before they see the connection between giving up junk and saving in terms of health care costs, but it’s a good start. Thoughts?

pollan

This article in the New York Times, discusses the villainization of candy vs. drinking juice or eating cookies. Not news to me…I don’t think candy or juice should be consumed in excess. Moral of the story…eat real food. I recently read M. Pollan’s In Defense of Food, and it was really good. I say this even though I come from a nutrition science background, and you’ll understand the irony of that statement if you’ve read the book. More discussion to come…

Anyway, while we’re on the topic of real food, how about another soup recipe? I know some states have been experiencing tornado-like weather, which qualifies as soup weather to me. This black bean soup is really easy but has tons of flavor. Thanks for the recipe, Foodbuzz!

DSCF4446 

Don’t forget whole wheat biscuits…because every soup needs a homemade biscuit, and these will only take 10 minutes to make, tops.

DSCF4448

Have you read In Defense of Food? If so, thoughts?!

0