Wednesday 6 October 2010

pumpkin + tomato soup

Are you sick of reading about my pumpkin recipes yet? We’ve only just begun, friends. This soup is great for warming up on cold fall days.

DSCF4284    

pumpkin tomato soup {deanna house}

  • 2 t. vegetable oil
  • 1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 4 c. vegetable broth
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes
  • 1 T. maple syrup
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 t. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 t. dried basil leaves, crushed
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1/8 t. ground pepper
  • 2 cups cooked pumpkin

Heat vegetable oil until hot, then sauté onions until tender. Add broth, tomatoes, maple syrup, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce, basil, salt, and pepper. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes. Stire in pumpkin, and heat until hot. Remove bay leaf. Blend soup in blender (small quantities, leave airspace @ lid to prevent explosions) or use a hand blender.

I’m teaching a community nutrition class on Thursday and have a special recipe planned involving these ingredients from the farmers’ market.

 DSCF4298

I’m hoping for better results than the last time I attempted a version of this recipe {meaning hopefully my audience will be a little more respectful…and this time I’ll be serving honey crisp apples}. I’m all about spreading the sustainability message, even though it’s considerably harder to do in a smaller town.

Oh, and Foodbuzz sent me some Ghirardelli Luxe Milk chocolates to sample as part of their Tastemaker program. Here is a great lesson in the making.

 DSCF4307

Do you see that “all natural” label? As other bloggers have discussed, all natural does not mean calorie free or healthful. I find it is a labeling term that’s really confusing (it is not regulated by the FDA and therefore abused at times). To Ghirardelli, this label means their product is free of added color, artificial flavors, and synthetic substances.

Like: It’s chocolate…what’s not to like?! The flavors were pretty good. I sampled the hazelnut, milk chocolate, and almond varieties, but I honestly prefer dark chocolate. The ingredient list was fairly short, which I appreciated.

Dislike: product contains soy…just not a fan of that or corn in everything these days!

As you well know, all natural does not mean free for all. Practice moderation, as always.

Have you seen the 100% natural label claim anywhere?

0