Sunday 15 July 2012

veggie broth

I've been pursuing cookbooks and was reminded how easy it is to make veggie broth and how I could use that in my cooked rice and for all kinds of things.  So today I made veggie broth out of my veggie refuse:  that was celery ends, carrot ends, watermelon rinds (no one ever said not to, right?),  broccoli stems, cauliflower leaves, broth from boiling sweet corn, and broth from steaming broccoli and cauliflower.   Here is ti cooked up.


I'll strain this into a bowl.  I guess I will freeze it into smaller container because I'm not going to do much cooking over the next few days.  I have lots of leftovers and easy meals planned.

The Bravo! cookbook provides this useful tip of things not to include:  artichoke and eggplant trimmings, and the outer layers of onions.  They add a bitter flavor.  

Today's broth tastes a lot like celery because I trimmed a bunch of celery for serving up with salsa.  But it is quite good.