Thursday 20 January 2011

homemade vs. processed

Maybe I’m the only one who gets stressed out by going to the grocery store these days. There is so much food that is not food, and it’s easy to get overwhelmed by the number of choices available.

 grocery

For example, the deceivingly simple ice cream sandwich has always been a fave. But…have you checked the sketchy ingredient list lately?

klondike

I’m pretty sure half those ingredients are euphemisms for genetically modified corn. Fantastic.

When I saw a recipe for homemade ice cream bars from Mama Pea (anyone who successfully raises children on a veg diet is a hero in my book), I decided to test the waters.

IMG_0276 

Mixing, chilling, microwaving [because I tried to speed the chilling process by using the freezer], rolling, cutting, and baking…these little treats are a ton of work!

IMG_0280

Sprinkles are a lot of fun, but they contain all sorts of weird food dyes and strange ingredients…and I just couldn’t buy them. Instead, I decided to use chopped pecans  and dark chocolate chips for garnish.

IMG_0282

Don’t expect these to taste like a storebought ice cream sandwiches because, well…they aren’t. But you at least get the satisfaction of recognizing every single ingredient.

IMG_0301

Things I have learned:

  • Making homemade ice cream sandwiches is a lot of work.
  • Homemade ice cream sandwiches do not taste the same as machine made, chemically filled treats.
  • You will savor a homemade ice cream sandwich and have more appreciation for it because of the hours it took to create.
  • You will not eat ice cream sandwiches as often (see above points).

Now, I’m definitely a fan of moderation, and I’m not on a rampage against mass produced ice cream sandwiches.

It’s just that I realize I have the power to choose, and the more I think about it, the less excited I am about giving any money to sectors of the food industry that I don’t support.

Any similar baking adventures?  Any homemade versions of treats that have been amazing?

0