Wednesday 26 January 2011

i love green

My favorite color is green. I like this color because it reminds me of spring, sustainability, and one of my favorite vegetables, kale.

   IMG_0314

For a long time I thought kale was bitter and was only edible to small herbivorous rodents. Fortunately, I gave it a second chance…and learned how to properly cook it in the process.

Some kale recipes I’ve experimented with:

My latest adventure in kale was inspired by 101 Cookbooks.

IMG_0363 

If you’re a pesto lover, you will approve of this easy recipe [20 minutes tops!]. I opted to use feta cheese and whole wheat penne, but I’m sure the original recipe is delicious as it stands.

IMG_0379

Nutritionally kale is pretty fantastic:

  • contains phytonutrients that may help prevent cancer
  • increases production of enzymes involved in detoxification
  • excellent source of pro-vitamin A
  • excellent source of antioxidant vitamin C
  • good source of fiber  (1 cup cooked = 10.4% DV)
  • very good source of calcium (1 cup of kale supplies 93.6 mg of calcium, 9.4% of the daily value for this mineral)
  • good source of copper, vitamin B6, and potassium

Read about raw vs. boiled kale nutrition here.

All that green also justifies homemade blueberry ice cream.

IMG_0249

What’s your fave way to eat kale?!

0