Monday 10 January 2011

winter, etc.

Well, the snow is back…I saw some sledders during my run this afternoon, which reminded me that I haven’t been sledding in forever.

IMG_0172     

This is partly because I’ve most recently lived in places without sledding hills…and going back farther than that, in highschool, I was always afraid I’d break my arm and have to miss the rest of my gymnastics season. Too bad I managed to tear my hamstring and sprain both my ankles in two separate seasons…without any help from the snow.

Anyway, while enjoying the lovely 19 degree temps, I’ve been wearing my favorite warm scarf (made by the ex-roommate), cooking up comfort food, and doing some quality reading.

IMG_0050

apple crumble [martha rose shulman]

Incredibly easy…I substituted oats for the quinoa topping simply because there is only one oven in the kitchen I’ll be teaching in, and I’m trying to time all my dishes carefully.

IMG_0176

I know I’ve talked a lot about my appreciation for Michael Pollan’s books, but a friend recommended Jonathan Safran Foer’s Eating Animals to me, and I haven’t been able to put it down.

IMG_0139 

While Pollan does an excellent job digging into the history of food and explaining how our country developed such a problem with agriculture and eating food that is not food, Foer speaks more to the tie between human experience relevant to food.

Foer talks about the process behind his decision to eat (or not to eat) animals in a completely entertaining but thoughtful way. I definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in food responsibility. Perhaps a more detailed review to come in the future…

vegan un-mac & cheese [my breakfast blog]

IMG_0191

My taste testers said calling this dish “mac & cheese” was misleading because it doesn’t taste like the mac & cheese. Fine then. Call it magical vegan pasta or whatever your little heart desires.

12 days new logo copy

Day 11: The gift of affirmation…

Words can be very powerful. Let your friends and family know what you appreciate about them. Your words of encouragement just might fall at a time when someone needs it most. A little cheesy, I know, but it’s definitely happened to me before.

Have you read Eating Animals? What is the best book you read in 2010?

Coming up

the LAST day in the 12 days of giving series. I’m really excited about this one because it features commuter cycling, which is becoming a semi-hot topic in the blogworld.

0