Sunday 15 May 2011

Still more on the Grand Canyon Salads

I got requests to post some more pictures so here they are.  This is what I made tonight for tomorrow's final day of vacation.  This is my favorite as it is topped with strawberries, blueberries and blackberries.
These are 8 cup containers!
  


The layers are
bottom:  broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage topped with 1 Tbsp vinegar (in each bowl):

This is black cherry infused balsamic vinegar, very good!
Then spinach, romaine lettuce, and seed mixture topped with another Tbsp of vinegar.  I would have put in mushrooms but I forgot to get them at the store. 
Then 1 can of chickpeas, 16 oz box of strawberries, 6 oz box of blueberries, 6 oz box of blackberries.  The organic berries taste better than conventional, especially the blackberries.

To eat the salad, I think the best way would be to put a plate over the bowl and turn it over so it's upside down, and you can eat the veggies first.  But I don't have a plate so I just stir it up with a spoon and dig down to the bottom to eat my marinated veggies first, then my lettuce, then my fruit and beans.  But of course, you can eat it however you want!

Oh, you can also cook the veggies a bit if you'd like.  A couple of days I got tired of raw veggies, so I microwaved the cauliflower, cabbage and broccoli so they were slightly cooked.  That was good.  I'd probably do that more often but it takes more time and if I had to choose between that and longer rides mountain biking, I will choose the mountain biking (which means getting to the hotel later).

Here was today's salad as described in yesterday's post:

This had asparagus, broccoli and cauliflower on the bottom, 1 Tbsp vinegar
bok choy, romaine lettuce, spinach, 1 Tbsp vinegar
seed mixture, mushrooms
small red beans, apple, and orange on top.

Here is my work surface, a hotel bathroom:

 When done, I clean up everything including the floor so it is spotless.  We nutritarians don't want to get a bad reputation.

Here are some of the other vinegars I tried.  One of them I don't like as well but I'm not sure which one.