Friday 15 March 2013

Stuck in a Rut and Full of News

Hello Friends,

I wanted to start off this post with some good news; I got a job!! That's right, after months of applying, interviewing and fretting, I finally got an offer! It was even for the job I wanted most. I am an environmental science student, and if I haven't said it already, I am way into all things water. The job is with a local municipality, doing inspections of properties that have applied for stormwater credits. That may some incredibly boring to some people, but I'm totally jazzed about it!

The catch? I need my own car... Since I am not going to want or need a car after his summer, I have decided to take over a lease from someone who only has 5 or 6 months left and needs to get out of it. Cheaper than renting and I won't have to worry about selling in September. Besides, this job will give me fantastic experience, so I think it will be worth it in the end.

***

Anyway, my stress levels have decreased slightly in the past week with the new job offer and a few assignments off my plate, but my body still seems to be in stressed-out mode. My meals are a major indication of this. When I get stressed, I go on autopilot and eat the same things all the time. My ED history probably has a lot to do with this, since it is easier to eat "safe" foods than to challenge myself to eat new things. Basically, I have been living on salads, stir-fries, omelettes and squash. My meals have all looked like this...




Yes, that's a meal ;)





Yep, booooooring! I mean, I still think it's all delicious, but it is the same stuff I always eat. The most creative I got was drizzling chocolate sauce on the same oats I eat everyday. I'm WILD!


I think I need to get some new ingredients to play with, try new combinations, or try something new altogether, but I just don't have the energy to be trying complicated recipes or putting too much thought into what I eat.

I have also been having trouble sleeping lately, and I'm not really sure why. Lately, I have been getting really weird hunger pangs at night that keep me up. I always eat enough for dinner (and have a snack afterwards), but then as soon my head hits the pillow, my tummy starts grumbling and I can't sleep! I have had numerous nights in the last week where I have to get up - sometimes more than once - to grab spoonfuls of peanut butter so that my stomach will shut up.

I am having trouble finding a balance at night. I don't want to eat too much because I don't want to feel overly full or have my digestive system keeping me up all night. I don't subscribe to the "don't eat X hours before bed" idea, but I also don't want to load up my system before it's ready to shut down. On the other hand, I don't want to be a hangry monster unable to get to sleep. Part of my insomnia may also be my mind working overtime, but hunger definitely doesn't help.

I don't want to sound too negative though! While I have had a bit of a rough go the past month or two, I think things will start looking up and I am ready to have a better attitude :)

Although, if anyone has suggestions for how to get out of a food rut or break an insomnia streak, I'm all ears :D

Have a wonderful Friday!

xoxo