Friday 19 April 2013

Summer is Here! (Sort Of)

Well, I'm back!

It was a stressful couple of weeks, and I didn't get as much sleep as I wanted to, but I made it through exams and now I'm free!! Thank god for coconut ice cream. It got me through a few study sessions :)


I guess my summer has technically started, although it doesn't feel like it. It was 25 degrees on Thursday (when I was stuck inside studying for my last exam) and today it is supposed to snow and reach a high of 1 degree. What is happening??!!

I guess I will start filling you in on the past two weeks, starting with the week I spent at home last week. I went to my parents' house to pick up my brand new (old) car!! That's right, I finally got her and she's a beauty!


It's a 2009 Nissan Sentra, but it only had 65000 kms on it, so it will have good resale value at the end of the summer. I still can't believe I bought a car, I feel like such a grown-up; I have never spent that much money on one item in my life. It hurt a bit watching it leave my bank account but I'm pretty much in love with this girl. I named her Lucille 3. High five to anyone who gets the reference ;) (Her?)

Unfortunately, I got stuck in the country a little longer than I had wanted to. I was supposed to drive back to Guelph last Thursday, but I ended up getting delayed until Saturday due to some crazy weather. I was really not eager to drive Lucille 3 around in freezing rain. 

I have a bit of trouble focusing and being productive when I'm at home, especially when I can't drive anywhere, so that definitely derailed my study schedule a bit, but my parents are pretty good to me, so it wasn't so bad. Since I didn't go home for Easter, I found this hiding in my room:


My mother knows me too well. I got to try some new (to me) bars and I already adore Quest and Simply bars. I was also pretty damn excited to get more chocolate probiotics.

While I was at home, I also grabbed one of my favourite kitchen tools that I hadn't used in ages. My yogurt strainer!


This thing basically allows you to make your own Greek yogurt by putting in regular yogurt and straining out the liquid. After I decided a couple of years back that I didn't eat dairy, I gave this to my mum because I had no use for it. However, now that I've come to my senses, it's back in my life! 


Somehow, the stuff I make doesn't taste quite as good as Oikos, but it's soooo much cheaper! One 750g container of yogurt for $2 makes almost 500g of Greek yogurt, which usually costs $5 per tub. If anyone is interested in out of these bad boys, it's a Donvier Cuisipro Yogurt Strainer and they sell them on Amazon.


Over the last couple of weeks, I have also been working at my goal of buying foods that I don't usually buy and incorporating them into my meals. I think I told you in a previous post that I bought avocado for the first time in years, and as soon as they turned ripe, I went to town. I ate them on salads...

Shredded carrot and broccoli slaw with shrimp, avocado and spicy peanut sauce.
 Ate them with raw veggies...

Yellow pepper stuffed with salsa and avocado

 And put them on top on omelettes...


This was the best combination ever! A mushroom and turkey bacon omelette with salsa and avocado on top. I also beat in some hot sauce and liquid smoke with my eggs to give it a smokey and spicy flavour. De-freakin'-licious.

I also bought some edamame, which is something I have always loved, but never seem to buy for some reason. It makes a killer addition to stir-fries or just eaten on its own.


While I am normally a faithful buttercup girl, my mum gifted me with an organic butternut squash last week, so I have been switching it up. Butternut squash fries are a new favourite :)


The last new item I bought was a bag of hemp hearts. I have been loving these things on top of oatmeal, cold cereal or fruit. I have been trying to get as many healthy fats as possible lately, and I have really been loving these.


My only issue is that they are really expensive. I bought a pretty small bag in bulk and it was about $7! I 'm very glad I didn't take an extra scoop, it would have bankrupted me...

So now I have a week and a half to do as I please before my job starts. I plan on sleeping, running, seeing friends who have just graduated and are leaving my life soon and also visiting a very special blog friend who lives in our (my) nation's capital. Any guesses? She doesn't blog anymore, but she is a running machine, a cupcake lover and one hell of a girl ;)

Talk to you all again soon :)

What would you do with a week and a half off?

Any new foods you've incorporated into your diet recently?