Tuesday 23 April 2013

WIAW: Salt Nazi

Happy Wednesday Everyone!

So far, it has been a lovely and productive week for me. I have been relaxing with TV shows, blogging, sleeping in and going on sunny-weather runs. I has been great. I also got this in the mail yesterday:


I haven't been able to find Banana Nut Muffin Quest Bars in any stores in my area, so I took matters into my own hands and ordered a box! I also stocked up on peanut flour so I can make lots of stir-fries and peanut butter banana pancakes. Mmmm...

I have also been using my time to get some things done. I have been tying up loose ends with my student government stuff and yesterday, I drove to Kitchener to get my parking pass sorted out for the summer and pick up my transponder. Plus my roommate and I took a full carload of empties back to the beer store and received a whopping $16.70 to share amongst our whole house. Shopping spree? I have also been looking into Masters programs for Fall 2014 (I know, that's a long way away, but I like to be prepared!) and contacting professors. Go me!

So overall, I have been really getting back on track and working on being happier and feeling like myself again. The one thing that has been bothering me the most lately is that I have been really bloated. It seems to be all the time, especially after I eat. This is definitely not helping with my self-esteem issues and making me feel better about gaining weight, so I would really like to figure it out.

I didn't eat dairy for a very long time and that didn't seem to make a difference to the way I felt. I have also tried temporarily cutting out wheat, but frankly, I don't eat very much wheat anyway, so I never noticed any changes. I also expected cutting out artificial sweeteners to help a lot, but it didn't have a huge impact on the bloating. I know that I have a bit of a problem with soy, so I avoid the processed stuff as much as possible, but still eat tempeh and edamame sometimes.

One thing I know I need to cut down is my salt intake. When I was in Asia last year, I got very used to eating highly seasoned, salty foods and I never bothered to readjust my taste buds when I got home from traveling. I definitely use too much soy sauce, hot sauce and mustard and I am probably too liberal with the salt shaker sometimes. This all adds up, so I am going to try to be very careful about salt for the next few weeks and see if the bloating is reduced. Already, I have been using less hot sauce and soy sauce and substituting vinegar, lemon juice and spices. I'm going to be a bit of a salt nazi until my taste buds get used to having less of it!

If I don't notice a difference, I may go to a doctor and get some advice. Beans and legumes may be something I need to cut back on, but I'd like to keep as many healthy foods in my diet as possible!

Anyway, I have rambled too long, and since it's WIAW, I'll show you some of my more delicious bites from the past few days.



I've been way into the hemp hearts lately, so they tend to accompany every breakfast.

Oat bran with frozen cherry berry mix and hemp hearts

I tried to make an apple cinnamon omelette the other day and the presentation totally failed, but it was still delicious, especially topped with vanilla protein sauce and hemp hearts.


I'm still in the midst of a love affair with avocado that I don't expect to end soon. I had it on top of a salad in the picture below, along with the last of my white bean and pumpkin French onion dip.


A hefty portion on top of yet another nasty looking omelette was also in order. Seriously, have I lost my touch? My omelettes are usually beautiful!


As usual, I have been making stir-fries a lot. Below is broccoli slaw, zucchini and mushroom stir-fry in peanut sauce with coconut curry tempeh on the side. Followed by cabbage, mushroom and shrimp stir-fry in sesame oil and soy sauce, served over rainbow quinoa.



Of course, I still snack like a fiend. Mostly those consist of fruit, greek yogurt and peanut butter, but I also treat myself to more decadent things on a regular basis.

In honour of Earth Day, I bought chocolate in support of endangered species. Just doing my part for the planet! ;)


I'm also a bit of a sucker for pudding. This is no sugar added vanilla pudding. I know it's not the healthiest thing on earth, but it hits the spot sometimes :)


Well, I am off to Ottawa to visit my girl Chelsie today and I could not be more excited!! I won't post again until the weekend because I will be having too damn much fun, but it won't be too long, I promise! 

Have a great rest of the week!

Have you ever had issues with bloating?

What are your tips for de-puffing?