Thursday 25 November 2010

Foodbuzz 24x24: a hipster(ish) thanksgiving

Thanks to Foodbuzz (and a lot of help from friends & family), one epic Thanksgiving celebration is complete.

hipster logo copy

PB250020

From peeling 60 billion potatoes from Visser farms

IMG_1536

to making chapbooks filled with poetry, art, and delish recipes [see menu here]…

DSCF4718

it was a pretty fantastic time of eating and hanging out with friends and family.

PB250024

This 24^3 event is titled a hipster(ish) thanksgiving because my hometown isn’t the most sustainable, food responsible city (but is growing!), and I consider it pretty hipster to eat local and organic food here.

I was really excited to support local farmers and businesses while creating an amazing meal and to share with my guests the importance of eating locally. Lots of vegetables were purchased from the farmers’ market…

IMG_1532 - Copy

and we made homemade stuffing from locally baked bread from Ryke’s Bakery.

IMG_1553

We also served bread from the Laughing Tree Brick Oven Bakery, which runs entirely on solar power. It was amazing.

IMG_1557

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to make my own marshmallows for the apple mallow yams.

IMG_1528

Perfectly toasted and delicious. If you haven’t ever made your own marshmallows, you should definitely give it a try.

DSCF4782

We tried a few unconventional dishes since Thanksgiving is usually pretty starch-heavy, including kale with garlic and cranberries

DSCF4798

apple slaw with local Michigan apples and cabbage,

IMG_1533 IMG_1534

and maple roasted brussels sprouts.

DSCF4760

My family has a tradition of having our guests sign a tablecloth each Thanksgiving (to be embroidered later). It’s really fun to look back and see how many holidays have been celebrated over the years.

IMG_1558

Lots of new names were added to the tablecloth this year, so I suspect a lot of sewing will be going down later.

IMG_1563

And let’s be honest…every great Thanksgiving meal ends with pie. Homemade apple pie is a definite favorite for most of my family.

IMG_1574

But I prefer the always festive pumpkin pie.

IMG_1576

The only thing better than pie is pie topped with homemade ice cream. A local and sustainable restaurant, Mia & Grace, supplied this homemade Tahitian vanilla bean ice cream. Homemade ice cream trumps storebought ice cream any day in my book.

IMG_1597

Some of you may remember Patrick’s guest post, and his freshly roasted coffee (as in roasted yesterday!) paired nicely with dessert. Attention coffee snobs: this is the best coffee you will ever drink. Get yours here, and support rural farmers in Honduras.

DSCF4717

Although it’s been a crazy time since I finished my internship in May, I have a lot to be thankful for, and I can’t think of a better way to celebrate than with good food + friends & family + supporting sustainability.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

0