Thursday 9 May 2013

Clearly, I Hate Stir-Fry

I was planning on starting this post by telling you how sore I still was from taking Danielle's bootcamp on Wednesday night, but unfortunately, luck was not on my side that evening.

I had been looking forward to it all day. I took my gym clothes and runners to work with me and everything in case I had to go straight there. Well, I had to make a stop on the way out of town and I ended up getting so lost that it took me an hour and a half to get home! My commute is usually 30 minutes, by the way...

Kitchener has a very confusing system of highways and I ended up on the wrong one multiple times! The whole time I was looking at the clock and swearing like a trucker. I finally made it back to Guelph, but I was way too late. Huge bummer!! This isn't the end though, Danielle gave me the date of the next bootcamp session and I am not going to miss it for anything!

***

Now, on to the title of this post. You know when you end up eating the same thing multiple times a week and you get totally sick of it? This is not one of those situations... I have been eating the same Asian-style peanut stir-fry what feels like every other day for a year and I love it more and more every time.


It is just so easy, tasty and healthy. It is also incredibly economical and versatile. I put in slightly different ingredients every time and I can just use up whatever I have in the fridge; so convenient! I thought it would be appropriate to share the recipe with you since it seems to be the only thing I eat these days!


Asian-style Peanut Stir-Fry
Serves 1

Ingredients (quantities are approximate, I tend to just throw ingredients into the pan):

Your choice of vegetables (I usually use broccoli slaw or cabbage, mushrooms and zucchini)
Protein (I like using shrimp or tofu)
1 tbs soy sauce 
1/2 tsp garlic powder OR 1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp sesame oil
2 tbs peanut flour

Preparation:

1. Sauté vegetables in a frying pan with soy sauce, sesame oil and garlic until tender
2. Add protein to the pan and cook for a few minutes (cooking time will vary depending on protein used).


3. In a separate bowl or cup, add water to peanut flour slowly and mix until it reaches a runny consistency
4. Pour peanut flour mixture over the contents of the pan and coat all vegetables and protein evenly
5. Continue to cook until whole mixture thickens
6. Serve over rice, quinoa or enjoy on its own and garnish with sesame seeds or crushed peanuts


You can also use peanut butter in place of peanut flour, but I like using peanut flour because I can control the consistency.


Yeah, I hate this stuff.


Gag me ;)


Have a lovely day everyone. TGIF!

xoxo

Do you ever make the same thing over and over again and not get sick of it?