Tuesday 28 May 2013

Little Wins

Hello!

Well, it seems like every time I say I am going to get back to blogging more often I...well, I don't.

I didn't blog much last week because I was busy and tired from work. I didn't blog on the weekend because I was busy trying to make the most of my time off by filling it with fun and sleep. And I haven't blogged yet this week because...well... I have had a lot of Arrested Development to watch...

I am actually proud of myself for not finishing the whole season in one day, but man is it good (am I right, Alex??). I was fully prepared to be disappointed if it didn't live up to the first 3 seasons, but luckily, it was everything I had hoped it would be.

Something else happened on the weekend that I consider a personal victory.

No, it was not the fact that I initiated yet another froyo trip (although I fully enjoyed that too).

I bought clothes!!! As in, I actually went into stores, tried on clothing in an actual dressing room (with those super flattering lights and mirrors) and felt good enough to make [quite] a few purchases!! This is the first time this has happened in over a year. 

I think the last time I actually bought clothes from a store I was about 20 lbs lighter, so getting ready to stand in front of those dressing room mirrors was not an easy task. However, I grew some balls and did it, and I ended up with some pretty cute outfits in the process. I took pictures of some of my favourites too :)







Now, I still haven't gotten the guts to buy pants (which I desperately need!). That is probably the 2nd scariest activity I can think of (2nd only to bathing suit shopping, eek!). Pants have very specific fits and sizing and I just didn't feel ready this time around. Plus, I was already trying on a million tops, so I didn't want to add more to my plate. 

Pants shopping (specifically for jeans) is something I think I need to reserve a special trip for. Chelsie gave me some great advice that she goes by. She said to take my hip and leg measurements first and then go to a store that sizes it's jeans in inches rather than 0, 2, 4 etc. This way, I am going by my actual size, not the size that I imagine (or wish) myself to be.

Even though I wasn't brave enough to venture past shirts, I am counting this weekend as a small win. I think it is the little wins that lead to real progress. If we are always holding out for big, dramatic victories, we will get frustrated too easily and be more likely to give in to old habits. Besides, lots of little wins add up fast, and I am looking forward to adding to my running total :)

Toodles! xoxo

Do you have any anxiety about buying clothes?

How do you deal with it?