Saturday 12 February 2011

hometown farewell…for now.

This weekend is the move to Ann Arbor. It’s not a huge deal to me because it’s only 3 hrs away vs. my 8 hr commute last year. Moving back home was a hard transition, but I’ve learned a lot these past few months.

IMG_0547 

Even though my hometown is not very progressive and struggles with embracing sustainability, I have found that I love being part of that struggle. There are certainly more opportunities to talk with people about my passion for local food, and I’m constantly reminded why I do what I do because it’s not the norm here. And it’s been cool to see other people get excited about the same things…

100_6915

I ate at the only local food restaurant in town today with my parents. So good. I will miss this little place and will definitely be back again. Their purple cabbage, fennel, and apple slaw is amazing. I also like their egg BLT (without the bacon, so I guess it’s an ELT?).

IMG_0535

And…a couple of recipes for your weekend. Smitten Kitchen’s chocolate chip cookies (because it’ll be V-day pretty soon, which is just an excuse to eat more chocolate, in my opinion).

IMG_0543

And homemade pita chips, which are great if you get tired of eating vegetables with hummus. I like splitting whole wheat pitas in half and brushing them with olive oil, garlic, and Italian spices. Bake at 400 until crispy (7-10 minutes).

IMG_0527     

Serve with hummus. I foresee a lot of hummus being made in the near future because I really like homemade pita chips…

100_3261

As I was taking my “last run before I leave” this morning, I got sprayed by no less than 2 snowplows. Nothing like a good ole goodbye from West Michigan…

Happy Weekend! 

0