Thursday 8 September 2011

Day 8

Today I switched to my Fall schedule:  food prep the night before, exercise before work, breakfast when I get into work.  So I eat a more substantial breakfast.  Here's what I ate today.

Brekky:  greens and beans, salad made from cabbage, spinach, lettuce, red bell pepper, cucumber, yellow squash, peaches, apples, seed mixture, balsamic vinegar.

Lunch:  baked sweet potato and salad.

Dinner:  greens and beans, salad.   carrots, sugar snap peas, and kohlrabi while prepping tomorrow's meals.

I'm running low on fresh fruit so my total calories were a little low.  I feel satisfied right now, hopefully won't wake up early hungry.

Total calories 1352, protein 55 g (12%), fat 21 g (13%), carbs 265 (75%), fiber 70 g.

People often ask me how I get my protein:  from vegetables, beans, and nuts and seeds.  In Dr. Fuhrman's Healthy Times newsletter #42, Fueling the Vegan Athlete, he gives a table of estimates of protein requirements.  The estimates are about  0.7-0.8 g/kg/day for sedentary individuals, 1.5 g/kg/day for endurance athletes, and closer to 2 g/kg/day for strength athletes.  That is grams of protein per kg of body weight per day.  My body weight is 125 lbs or 56.8 kg.  So today I had about 1g/kg of protein.  Another estimate of protein requirements from the table gives 12-15% of calories for all individuals from sedentary to strength athletes--note that athletes will naturally increase their protein intake by eating more calories.  I had 12% today.   I've read elsewhere that 5-10% of calories is sufficient (World health organization maybe?).   I think I get enough.  I exercise daily but I'm not an athlete (I am just a wannabe).

I hope your day was successful!