Friday 9 September 2011

Yummy Salad



I make salad every day and this one was so good I want to remember it.  It includes kale and collards because I'm going on vacation next week and want to trim down the plants in my garden before leaving.  I think what makes the salad good are the combination of pears and mango and the kale and cabbage.  It's a great combo.  Apples would probably work in place of pears.

Ingredients for 3 salads:
cabbage, 277 g or 3 cups chopped
kale, 168 g or 2-3 cups chopped  (or however much you want, this is just how much I picked from the garden)
collards, 41 g, or 2 big leaves (or however much you want)
1 medium cucumber chopped
1 medium yellow summer squash, chopped
1 large pear or 2 small
1 cup chopped mango (I used frozen)
3 Tbsp balsamic or fruit infused vinegar (not sour)
1 oz seed mixture or chopped nuts

How easy is that?  combine everything.  I made this the night before because I don't have time in the mornings.   Well, that's okay for the kale and collards because they marinate overnight and are more tender.  Oh, and an important thing I do with the kale and collards is I mashed them, or massage them, with my hands after chopping them--that helps tenderize them also.  Oh, you de-stem them too before chopping.