Wednesday 24 July 2013

7/24/13, hiking!


Today we had a lovely day hiking at Devil's Lake State Park in Wisconsin.   Last night I cooked up some wheat berries (spelt and kamut) and oat groats, had those for breakfast this morning with blueberries and 1 tsp of maple syrup.  That was my first refined sweetener in 6 weeks and, I can't believe I'm saying this, it was a little too sweet.  1 tsp?  So I'm thinking I don't want it tomorrow. What?  whatever.   I'd also baked a potato last night and I had that for lunch, along with some sugar snap peas and jicama.  That was all great.  It helps when you are hungry from hiking but it was all great regardless.  After the post-lunch hike, I had some kohlrabi and carrots.  Then a quick dinner at home before an evening meeting of leftovers from yesterday:  the greens and kohlrabi and zucchini and corn meal and beans.   Then post-meeting, a dessert of some cherries and banana.   
Exercise was lots of hiking and climbing on the bluffs.  Oh and I was wearing my full backpack as I'm starting to train for a backpacking trip.  It was loaded with about 20-25 lbs, which is light but a good place to start practicing from.  Here's me and my partner in crime, Blackie Bear, getting ready to climb the bluff:
Don't worry, there are steps carved into the rocks.  Many passersby were excited to report that they saw a blackie bear at Devil's Lake.