Wednesday 3 July 2013

Ingredients For a Perfect Weekend

Hello everyone!

So, this post seems like it's coming a little late, but my work week only started Tuesday because of Canada Day weekend! I am a proud Canadian and I love showing it. I also love a good long weekend, that is free of anxiety and self-doubt. I had the perfect weekend and I thought I would tell you all of the necessary components so you can get a little inspiration :)

Canadians love their beer, and it is VERY necessary for Canada Day :)

An escape from the city:



I went up to one of my best friends' cottages for one night. I have been going up there for years and it is the perfect getaway from the hustle and bustle of busy city life. We just like to hang out, chat, spend time outside and cook good food.

Just look at that view :) I love the panorama app on my iPhone.

Perfect :)

Good food:

I have almost no food pictures from the weekend. I tend to avoid taking foodie pics when I'm with friends and family because I get self-conscious and frankly, I would rather just enjoy my meal than try to get the perfect angle and lighting on my potatoes.

However, I can assure you that I enjoyed a lot of good food last weekend and it included: artisan pizza, bundt cake, homemade strawberry rhubarb crumble, a crepe brunch, cedar plank grilled salmon and ice cream. I wish I could relive the weekend just for the delicious food.

Crepes topped with bananas, cinnamon and fresh Ontario strawberries.
A new philosophy:

To be honest, part of me was dreading this weekend because I knew it would be full of indulgences and I have still had trouble lately with eating that much rich food in a short amount of time. However, I really surprised myself this weekend with the lack of guilt I felt. I know I don't eat like that all the time and I thoroughly enjoyed every meal I had, both the food and the company.

I ate dessert every night and I probably went a little overboard one of those nights, but I refused to regret a few extra calories that were enjoyed in the company of loved ones. More and more, I have been accepting a more loving relationship with food and my body and it makes it so much easier to wake up the morning after a big meal feeling nourished rather than riddled with guilt.

Good music:

My brother's band was staying at my parents' house all weekend so that they could practice and play a Canada Day show in Barrie on the Monday. I got to see them play for the first time since January and I thought it was one of the best shows they've ever played. They are all fantastic musicians and great people and they put on a very fun show :)


Puppy love:

I got to see my parents' dogs for the first time in a month and while Bailey still looks the same, Abby has grown quite a bit.

Remember this little monster?

Our little German-Canadian shepard :)
Of course, the dogs love to rumble...

Despite her small size, Abby is the more vicious contender.

And play tug-o-war...


And all that fighting seems to make Abby fall asleep in her bowl afterwards...


A healthy dose of (fun) activity:

I love a good workout, but exercise is so much better when it is just fun and carefree with no attention given to reps, distance or speed. I was lucky enough to get a lot of that kind of activity last weekend.

It started with morning yoga on the dock at my friend's cottage.


Just a note: balancing poses are twice as challenging on a dock (and 10 times harder when a boat goes by). Try it!

Later that day, I took Bailey on an awesome 8km walk. It was cool and breezy out and we took it at her pace. She is getting old, so I didn't want to push her. It was also nice to spend some quality time with the old pup since the new pup has been getting so much attention lately.

Monday morning, I took advantage of the endless roads around my parents' house and went for a 7km run.

The first song on my shuffle happened to be Canadian National by Inlet Sound. How appropriate, seeing as it was Canada Day and the band was staying at our house all weekend!


It's hard to tell in the picture, but our house is on a hill at the top of a long, steep, winding driveway, and it is BRUTAL to sprint up that thing at the end of a run!

Foodie gifts:

My mum was kind enough to send me home with a couple of foodie items that she had picked up.



I can't wait to try these! I'll probably end up eating the smoked fish with some crackers or straight out of the package, but any ideas for meals I could make with the seaweed noodles?

A great date:

Watching fireworks in the park on a big fuzzy blanket while sipping a couple of snuck-in ciders is a pretty perfect setting ;)



Have a lovely rest of the week and Happy 4th of July to my friends in the States!!

What do you do for your national holiday?

What are your ingredients for a perfect weekend?

xoxo