Sunday 2 June 2013

MIMM: Puppy Love

Happy Monday Everyone!


So, many of you have already seen the pictures I have been spamming instagram with, but I went home to my parents' house this weekend and met a very special little lady.

Meet Abby.


Actually, her full name is Abira Vom Burg Im Wald, which means "Abira from the castle in the forest" in German. I guess the name is fitting since she is a German Shepherd.


I was only home for about 24 hours, but I basically spent the whole time cuddling and covering myself in dog smell.


Of course, I didn't want to neglect our other dog, Bailey. She's older and not quite as awkwardly adorable, but she's an amazing dog and she has been very patient with Abby.


I have to say, I was a little sad to leave home yesterday because I knew that the next time I saw Abby, she would be a whole lot bigger and her ears would be standing straight up. I am a dog-lover for life so I know I will still love her wholeheartedly, but there is something extra special about puppies.


***

On a different (but equally exciting) note, my roommate just found out that she got into vet school!! I don't know how it is in the states, but in Canada, getting into vet school is brutally hard. It is even harder than getting into med school, because there are fewer spots available. I have lived with this girl for more than 2 years and she has been such a supportive friend and roommate. She worked so hard to get in, she really, truly deserves it.

I decided to mark the occasion by testing out my cake-making skills again.


Not too shabby, huh?

The cake was delicious; devil's food cake, with vanilla icing layered in between and on top. Not only did I have a big piece with my roommates, but I had my fair share of batter and icing when I was baking. 

Now, I live in an 8-person house and the house rule is that everyone gets a cake on their birthday. Basically, we eat a lot of cake in my house.

I remember how I used to handle this reality. Whenever it was someone's birthday and I knew there was going to be a cake, I would think of excuses and work on setting up my alibi all day, so that I could avoid eating any. How pathetic is that? If I decided I "wasn't going to be feeling well", I would start making comments about my queasy stomach early in the day so that my excuse for turning down cake was nice and believable by nighttime. 

Now I look forward to having a piece of cake with my roommates because birthdays and special occasions don't happen very often and they absolutely require cake :)

I hope your Monday is marvelous! xoxo