Sunday 23 June 2013

MIMM: Weekend Snapshots

Well, it's Monday, and thanks again to Katie (who is about to have a baby any day now!) for hosting this little get together.


This past weekend, I went to London to visit my best friend, Edie, whom I had not seen in 3 months. I was long overdue and I missed her like crazy, so I drove there for a visit.

Since I hadn't seen her in so long, I also had not been able to see her for her birthday and give her her present. I think I did a mighty fine job, if I do say so myself :)

She works at David's tea and she has more loose leaf tea than any other human on earth. She probably has 100 kinds, and that is not an exaggeration. When I saw this tea strainer at a store, I immediately had to buy it for her.


It's called a mana-TEA. Sooooo punny :)

I also couldn't resist buying her a grow-your-own gnome grassland kit. Yes, you read that right. I may have mentioned this before, but she and I have a bit of a gnome obsession. Every gift we give each other seems to have some kind of gnome theme. The amount of gnome paraphernalia in my room would shock you.

I think she liked it.


On a different note, I wish I had this sign for my house. This is hanging in Edie's room and as the hippie wannabe that I am, I want it badly.


On Friday night, we went out to a restaurant called Veg Out, a vegan place.


I had the chickpea burger over greens and it was to die for. The patty was made with chickpeas, green peas and peanut butter and was topped with avocado, pickles, sprouts and veggies. I was so satisfied, although I did have to follow it up with a green tea latte later on ;)

On Saturday morning, we went to the farmers market  and had a look around. Edie ended up buying some Nepalese granola from a vendor and we both got some Nepali tea, which was the best tea I have had since I was in India. It was milky, spicy and full of cardamom, just the way I like it :)


Edie had to work during the day on Saturday, so I decided to go to a cafe (or two) with WIFI to catch up on some emails and blog-reading. I started at Organic Works Bakery and got some of their house-brewed chai, which was delicious (although, not as delicious as the Nepali tea I'd had that morning, sorry!). Incidentally, Organic Works is the place where Chelsea used to work, although I didn't get to meet her  :(

I think the reflection of my face in the computer screen is a nice touch ;)

I needed a change of scenery after a few hours, so I went to Starbucks and enjoyed a shaken green tea, with tons of ice since it was about a billion degrees outside.


For dinner on Saturday night, Edie was craving falafel and I was craving copious amounts of hummus, so we went to a mediterranean place called Barakat, which has some of the best shawarma I have ever had in my life. 

I got the Mala Special, which is a HUGE salad covered in veggies, herb dressing, shawarma-style chicken, cabbage slaw, pickled radish, pickles and A LOT of the creamiest hummus you will ever eat in your life (plus lots of hot sauce). 


The picture doesn't do it justice. This. Thing. Was. Massive. I was full about a quarter of the way through, but I kept going until almost the end. It probably wasn't the best idea, since I could barely walk afterwards, but it was so incredibly delicious that I really didn't have another option!

This is what a salad should be, people. This is a salad.

I was sad to leave Edie the next morning, but I had to get back to Guelph to get some things done before work the next day.

I am really mature.

Good thing I had some fun with her fridge before I left ;)

I made good time on the drive home, so I managed to have a productive afternoon, starting with this workout that Caitlin posted:


She's an excellent cheerleader :)



She is also an excellent runner :) I will let her tell her own news, but let's just say she absolutely killed her half marathon on the weekend. Congrats girl!!

I also managed to get this done, yesterday:

Before

After
I was long overdue to clean this cupboard out and I feel so good now that it's done! Not too shabby, huh?

Well, that was my weekend, how was yours?

Have a marvelous Monday, friends!

xoxo