Sunday 18 November 2012

A Good Weekend

Hey Everyone!

So I mentioned yesterday that I spent the weekend at my parents' house in an effort to get some school work done. That did NOT happen. I always think there will be fewer distractions at home, but things always seem to get in the way. I'll give you a quick recap.

Friday I went to my old high school to visit some of my favourite teachers (Bucket List item!). It was something I had been wanting to do for ages, but I am never in town on weekdays. It was great to talk to them though; I had some awesome high school teachers who really believed in me.

I actually got a bit of work done Friday, but there was also a sushi dinner (no sushi pics, sorry!) and coffee date that got in the way...

Saturday was really nice. My mum and I went to an arts and crafts fair at a Waldorf school in Richmond Hill. There was tons of beautiful handmade stuff. I didn't buy any crafts due to my poor student budget, but there was also a local market and lots of great food vendors. Which brings me to a proud moment; I had my first challenge food... Samosas!




It's not a pretty picture, but they were yummy! One is a healthy, baked, whole grain one and the other is a crispy, fried one. I actually liked the healthy one better, but the challenge of fried food was good for me. Even in my 3 and a half months in India, I only had maybe 2 or 3 samosas (I know, insane). My ED brain was just not comfortable with it and I'm kicking myself now for passing up so many AMAZING foods because they weren't "healthy" or "clean" enough.

If you haven't already seen it, I have a list of food challenges under my "Bucket Lists" tab. After struggling with an ED for so long, lots of foods become absolutely terrifying and off-limits. I want to start incorporating these back into my diet so that I can start to heal my relationship with food and my body.
-----

My mum also had this amazing spelt, chestnut, cashew (I think!), chocolate awesome crepe thing that I was happy to have a few bites of. The vendor it came from had a ton of raw, vegan, healthy treats and meals.


The rest of the weekend was just filled with hanging out, (some) homework and a hot yoga date with my dad. I pressured him to try a class back in June and now he's completely hooked, he practices more than I do! He has always been active, but had never tried yoga and had virtually no flexibility. He was really nervous to go the first time, but he never looked back. Luckily, he likes the heat, and he's a Buddhist, so the meditation aspect was perfect for him. Go Dad!

The weekend also involved many spoonfuls of this amazing creation...


Here's a (not so) fun fact about me: I have never bought a jar of peanut butter for myself. For years and years it was "forbidden". It was just far too delicious and densely caloric to have around. I was always afraid I would snap and eat an entire jar. It is, after all, one of my favourite foods (something I refused to admit for years).

However, being at my parents' house this weekend, I had access to their stash and I used it as a chance to challenge myself. I listened to my body, took a spoonful when I wanted one, enjoyed it thoroughly and didn't feel the need to go nuts (ha ha...). I actually felt NO guilt over this, which is a big step in the right direction for me. I think I might even be ready to buy MY OWN JAR! Yay!!

Until next time :)

Did you have any irrational food fears that you overcame?

Have any of your healthy habits rubbed off on your parents?