Sunday 25 November 2012

Health Survey!

Hello Everyone!

I had been thinking about what I was going to post today and was getting no inspiration until I saw this post by Amanda. It's a great survey about general health and wellness and I think it is good to reflect on some of these things, so here I go!

1. What did you eat for breakfast? 

My delicious Pumpkin Pie Oat Bran! I really can't go a morning without eating oat bran, I really crave it when I wake up. Hence why I wrote an entire post about it...



2. How much water do you drink a day?

I try to drink lots, but some days are better than others and I know it couldn't hurt to drink more. I usually chug over a litre of it before I even leave the house in the morning, have about half a litre with every meal and obviously drink it when I work out. I also carry this guy around with me and try to take sips whenever I think of it.


Remember him? It's Ganesh again (though looking worse for wear)! In case you missed it, he's the same Hindu god I have tattooed on my shoulder.

3. What is your current favourite workout?

Either a good sweaty hot yoga class or a quick and killer workout by this girl. Zuzana Light is fantastic! For anyone not familiar with her, go get acquainted now!



4. How many calories do you eat a day?

I'm not going to answer this question directly. I prefer not to talk numbers because I don't want anyone else to compare themselves to me or be triggered by my behaviour. I am currently trying to increase my caloric intake slowly so that my body and mind can better adjust to it. I'm taking small steps in my recovery because I think I will be more likely to commit to it and succeed. I really want to get away from calorie-counting eventually, because I think it leads to obsessive behaviour (at least it did for me) and encourages you to not eat intuitively, but after having a running total going in my head for 8 years, it is hard to turn it off! Amanda and Sam are both really positive role models for listening to your body and treating it well and I'm trying my best to take their advice. Don't worry girls, I'll get there!

5. What are your favourite healthy snacks?

Apples!! They are probably my number one, I've always loved them and always will.

Crimson Crisp and Mutsu. Mmm...

Peanut butter is probably a close second or on par. I could be very happy for the rest of my life with nothing but a jar of PB and a spoon. That is something I will definitely be buying for myself soon :)


I am also quite enamoured with Savi Seeds. They are high in omega-3s and I really like the taste. That being said, they ARE an acquired taste; my mum hates them.

Not sure why my hand is such a funny colour in this picture.

6. What do you usually eat for lunch?

Whatever I feel like/have in the fridge, really. I don't discriminate between breakfast, lunch and dinner foods. That being said, I have been known to eat a lot a omelettes, big salads and stir frys with veggies/tempeh/shrimp/peanut sauce around mid-day. As I move forward in my recovery, I want to get comfortable with eating different things earlier in the day, like big fat sandwiches :)

Oh yeah....
7. What is your favourite body part to strength train?

A while ago, I would have said my legs because they were my strongest body part (and still are), but since my upper body has become a lot stronger lately (Thanks Zuzana!), I love the feeling of my new-found strength. Sometimes I angrily rip off my shirt and growl and pretend to be the hulk.

8. What is your least favourite body part to strength train?

Umm... I've actually really been enjoying all strength training lately. It just makes me feel so powerful! I used to be a running addict, but my love for cardio has actually been steadily declining. Does anyone have any tips for reigniting an old romance with cardio?

9. What are your "bad" food cravings?

Well, I'm trying to get away from labeling any foods as "bad" because it isn't a healthy way to think. If you are talking about foods that are "not the most nutritionally balanced" then I would have to say a big chewy cookie, a cinnamon bun or ice cream. I definitely have a sweet tooth. Chips, on the other hand, meh.

My life is complete...
10. Do you take vitamins or supplements?

Oh boy, do I ever! I have been adding to my daily supplement list for years now, after seeing different naturopaths for varying reasons. I now take a multi-vitamin, vitamin A, B complex, a probiotic and zinc. I know I'm probably just making very expensive pee, but I've been in the habit of taking them for so long that I just haven't bothered to stop. I also use some protein powders and nutritional supplements if that counts.

11. How often do you eat out?

Not very often. Partly because of my busy schedule, partly because of my student budget and partly because of my ED history (I'm getting way better with eating out though!). There are some fantastic restaurants in Guelph that I want to start going to more, and when I see my parents, we always go out for either sushi or Indian. Yumm......

12. Do you eat fast food?

Almost never, although it's something that I would like to get more comfortable with so that I can have more options when I'm on the run. Although, even if it weren't for my ED, I probably wouldn't eat it much. I just don't find it as satisfying as a home-cooked meal or a dish from a good restaurant.

13. Who is your biggest supporter?

My family is very supportive. I have a great relationship with my parents and my brother and I are really close. My aunt is also a huge support and of course, my best friend, who has been there for me whenever I needed her for almost 20 years.

We're pretty awesome. I love you, Edes.
14. Do you have a gym membership?

I have a ghetto gym membership. I work out at the gym on campus because it is $34 per semester and is the closest to my house. It's pretty crowded though and not the most luxurious of facilities.

15. How many hours of sleep do you get a night?

Not as many as I should. Some nights I get 5, some nights I get 8. It just depends on how much homework I have or how much I have been procrastinating.

16. Do you have a "cheat" day?

Absolutely not. I just try to eat healthy, nutritious food most of the time and honour cravings when I have them. I don't think there is a reason to restrict yourself all week and then dive head-first into a bucket of fried chicken as soon as you're "allowed".

17. Do you drink alcohol?

I do enjoy my vino :)


18. Do you have a workout buddy?

Just myself! I don't like comparing myself to others and I find that I'm at my best when I'm competing with myself. The only exception to that would be when my dad and I go to hot yoga together. Ohm...

19. What is the best thing that has changed about your life since committing to a healthy lifestyle?

Well, I have been committed to eating healthy food and working out since I was about 13, but I only really decided to commit to living a healthy life about a month ago. I think the best thing so far has been the change in my attitude. I am trying to be more open and enjoy life more. I have also been feeling less guilty for eating what I want and I haven't been restricting what I eat early in the day, so I have more energy!

20. What was the last healthy thing you did?

Looked at my body in the mirror and told myself I was strong and beautiful :)

Have a wonderful Monday!