Saturday 24 November 2012

Pesto Perfection

So, here's a reci-post for you. I'll keep it short and sweet...short and savoury? Short and creamy. Maybe, short and garlicky? Yeah, one of those.

I adore pesto. If I could dive into an Olympic-sized pool of pesto I would be very (slimy but) happy :) But I wanted more out of my pesto. I thought, what if I could combine the intense flavour of pesto with the creaminess and density of hummus? I also tend to avoid dairy, so cheesy pesto isn't something I opt for frequently (Although I do love it). So what's the solution?

Enter my Versatile Vegan Pesto!

This recipe is high in protein, fibre, B vitamins and iron. It's super flavourful and the consistency makes it incredibly versatile.


Versatile Vegan Pesto

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups fresh basil
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup white beans
3 cloves garlic
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Preparation:
Combine all ingredients in a food processor until combined and smooth. You can also use a hand blender if you don't have a food processor. If it is too thick, add water to desired consistency (it will thicken a little once it's chilled)
And voila!
It's great on spaghetti squash...

On crackers or rice cakes...

As a dip for veggies...

And I may or may not dig in with a spoon on occasion ;)
If you have any other ideas for how you could eat this, I'd love to hear them!
Anyone else have a love affair with pesto?