Sunday 18 November 2012

My prayers finally answered!!

Hello!

So this is only my second post and I have lots of "deeper" things that I'm planning on posting in the near future, but I decided to just do a fun post today.

I escaped to my parents house this weekend to get some school work done (usually I live with 6 other roommates, it get distracting) and my mum and I have been spending some girl time together. Yesterday, we were out doing a bunch of things and we went to Nature's Emporium in Newmarket, Ontario, which is basically like a Whole Foods. We love going to health food stores together, picking up our old favourites and stumbling upon new finds. Speaking of new finds, my prayers were answered today.

Presenting...



Now, I LOVE egg nog. I avoided it for years because of the fat and calories (nasty ED). I also stay away from dairy because I find it tends to make my skin break out, so my body must not like it very much. Anyway, all of the soy egg nogs I've had are nasty as all get out and I haven't been able to find another alternative in any stores near me. I have been pleading to the universe to make an almond milk nog for ages (I even wrote to a few companies!) and FINALLY I have it in my possession!! This is Earth's Own Almond Fresh Noel Nog. I have to say, there will never be a true substitute for full-fat, creamy, sweet honest-to-goodness egg nog. This stuff was definitely thinner than real nog and the flavour wasn't quite as robust. It was a little less sweet too, which was actually nice. One thing's for sure, it was a lot better than any soy-based nogs I've had, so it's good when you just want a little Christmasy sweet treat. It definitely put me in a holiday mood :)

A few other goodies that I picked up this weekend...


I already drank the Blueberry Pomegranate Steaz and it was pretty good. It's basically a fruit-flavoured, fizzy green tea sweetened with stevia. It wasn't overwhelmingly sweet and I loved the underside of the cap :)


Cute, eh? (Yes, I'm Canadian) I usually use SunWarrior protein powder, but they were having a really good sale at Popeye's, so I decided to try some of this Vega Performance Protein since I usually really like Vega stuff. I'll let you know how it is when I open it!

The turkey jerky was an impulse buy. I don't eat red meat for a variety of reasons, but I remember that I used to love Oberto beef jerky when I was a kid, so when I saw this at Costco (aka Disneyland) I had to have it.

You probably can't see, but all the protein bars are chocolate peanut butter flavours. Yum. I have already tried that flavour of Simply Bar and I know it's great (not too sweet, but very tasty), but I'm excited to try the NuGo Dark and the Quest Bar. Like I said, I normally stay away from milk products, like whey. However, I still don't REALLY know what the correlation is between dairy and my skin problems and EVERYBODY has been raving about Quest bars, so I figured I needed to try it out. Plus, how can you go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter?

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear your comments!

Does anyone else find that dairy causes breakouts or skin problems for them?

Any preferred brands of non-dairy egg nog?