Thursday 29 November 2012

Off to the Show and A Tasty Omelette Recipe

Happy Friday Friends!

I'll just start by saying that my classes are finally over for the semester and I'm about to go hand in my final assignment (a 32-page econometrics paper, fun)! 

Now I just have 5 exams to get through and I can relax for Christmas! I have been picking up some ingredients for my annual holiday baking (which I plan to happily indulge in this year), working on checking off my Christmas shopping list and listening to Michael Buble Christmas songs on repeat :)

Perhaps the most exciting sign of the holiday season is that I am off to the One of a Kind Craft Show today!! 

For anyone who has never been to this: It. Is. Amazing! It's like every craft show you've ever been to put-together, times 10! 

This photo doesn't even come close to doing it justice.

There are rows and rows of artists, designers and different kinds of craftspeople, all selling beautiful handmade things. Did I mention that there are also several whole rows of foodie vendors? (One of which I have already spoken to about doing a review - coming soon!) Chocolates, jams, fancy nuts, spreads; you name it, it's there. Oh, and they ALL have an abundance of samples. Today is going to be a good day :)

***

Now I'm just going to share a little recipe with you that I make all the time. It's easy, filling and tasty, you can't go wrong!

First off, I love omelettes.

I could eat them for every meal of the day. Actually, because I my stubborn preference for oats in the morning, the only meal I don't eat omelettes for is breakfast!

As a starving student, they are also one of the most versatile and economical meals out there. Has anyone ever needed to use up a bunch of ingredients that were about to go bad? Put them in an omelette! Sweet potatoes? Omelette! Quinoa? Omelette! Goat cheese? You guessed it, omelette! Apple pie? Well... (Actually, it just occurred to me that I actually do make apple pie omelettes sometimes, maybe I'll share the recipe another day)

I have thrown almost every combination of veggies and odds n' ends into eggs and it usually comes out hearty and tasty (I only say "usually" because of one particularly memorable incident in my early, experimental cooking days involving myself, my best friend and a packet of falafel mix... not recommended).

Here is one of my favourite omelettes that I seem to keep revisiting.

Cheezy Bacon Veggie Omelette

Ingredients: (most of these are approximations, so don't sweat it if you're off!)

- 2 whole eggs (or 1/2 cup egg whites)
- 2 strips turkey bacon (cut into small pieces)
- 1 handful spinach
- 1/3 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 tbs. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. hot sauce (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- black pepper to taste

Preparation:

Add turkey bacon, then mushrooms to a frying pan and cook over medium heat (I find the bacon greases the pan a little so I don't need to add oil) until both are cooked.


Add spinach and continue frying until spinach is wilted. Arrange veggies and bacon in the pan so they are evenly covering the bottom.


Whisk together eggs, nutritional yeast, hot sauce, smoked paprika and pepper in a bowl and pour into the pan covering the other ingredients.

Cook on medium heat until omelette surface begins to bubble slightly and underside is cooked. Loosen with a spatula, flip and cook on the other side until omelette is cooked through.


Slide onto a plate and top with salsa, ketchup or whatever you like!

I usually prefer salsa, but I was all out when I took this picture :(

Not the prettiest food, but don't judge a book by its cover ;)

Well, I'm off to the show! 

Have a fabulous Friday.

What are your favourite omelette add-ins?

Any other craft show nerds out there? Have you ever been to One of a Kind?