Wednesday 28 November 2012

My First WIAW: The Week of the Squash

Happy Wednesday! 

First, I just want to give a big shout out to anyone who read and commented on my post yesterday. You guys had some great things to say and I was really touched by all of the support.

Now, I'll move on to... What I Ate Wednesday! A favourite link party in this blogosphere :)

So this is my first official WIAW post. The WIAW link-up (hosted by Jenn) was actually how I first discovered the food/health-blogging world, so I'm excited to participate for the first time!

Since my blog is still very new and I'm somewhat very disorganized with my picture-taking, I am just going to be showing you some of the different foods that I ate throughout the week, instead of a on a particular day. Hopefully in the weeks to come, I will come up with some kind of format for these posts, but for now, I'm flying by the seat of my pants!

Just one more note: if any of my meals look on the small side, it's just because I snack A LOT, so don't worry that I'm not getting enough ;)

So without further ado...

My breakfasts all looked something like this...

Carrot cake oats. Yum.

Anyone who read this post would hardly be surprised.

Lunches are typically whatever I have on hand. Usually with lots of veggies, protein and complex carbs to keep me going.

Big salad (pre-dressing) with spinach,  bell peppers, pickles(weird, I know),
shredded cabbage, chicken & homemade turkey bacon bits.
(Yes, that is my German cutting board in the back. It says, "Guten Appetit!")

Broccoli slaw, mushrooms and tofu stir-fried with soy sauce,
garlic powder and peanut flour/water mix.
Topped with sesame seeds. One of my favourite meals :)

Like I said, I snack a lot. Mostly on healthy things ;) 

Including plenty of fruit...

My faves :)

Look at the SIZE of it!! That's Costco for you, baby.

Healthy fats...

My homemade pesto...


...and this GLORIOUS chocolate! (Review coming very soon!)

Fear food no more!

And then things got out of hand, albeit deliciously out of hand.

Have you ever bought a big, fat spaghetti squash... and all the way home envisioned all of the scrumptious spaghetti-like things you were going to make with it... only to realize (again) that the volume of the insides seems to amount to 10X the size of the original squash (!!)... and now you will have to eat spaghetti squash for every meal for the next two weeks just to use it up??

I mean, don't get me wrong, I LOVE spaghetti squash. It's just that I do like to eat, you know... other things.

Anyway, I had to think of a way to keep it interesting; meal, after meal... after meal... you get the point.

Pesto Pasta.
Mixed with my vegan pesto and topped with Yves veggie meatballs.
I usually try to stay away from heavily-processed soy "meats",
but these were on sale and they're tasty, so what the hell?

Vegan Spaghetti Marinara.
The "marinara" is just half-and-half jarred pasta sauce and spicy salsa;
I like my pasta sauce with a little kick ;)
Then I topped it with veggie meatballs and nutritional yeast.

Peanut "Noodle" Stir-fry.
Spaghetti squash stir-fried with soy sauce, garlic powder and
peanut flour/water mix. Then topped with herbed tofu -
marinated in soy sauce and pan fried - and sesame seeds. Delish :)

Easy Cheezy Pumpkin Pasta.
Just 1/3 cup pureed pumpkin mixed with 2T nutritional yeast and a pinch
of salt. You can add a little water too, to make it "saucier".

And of course this wasn't the end of the spaghetti squash. These meals were repeated...


... more than once.

And of course, the week wouldn't be complete without my favourite kind of squash: Buttercup!

Roasted and served with sesame-soy shrimp. Best dinner ever!

Do you ever get stuck eating the SAME thing over and over again, just to use it up?

What is your favourite way to eat spaghetti squash?