Monday 26 November 2012

My Ideal Vision

Howdy Friends,

I really like what Sloane has started with the #freEDom link up, so I decided to join in and post something that has been important for my recovery.


Strength in Freedom

When I first started seriously thinking about my recovery, I spent hours online looking at resources and trying to find a place to start. I ended up watching a bunch of YouTube videos by a girl named Nina V, who had struggled with eating disorders herself for years and now has a website, books, etc. on the subject.

She had a lot of good tips to help with restriction and bingeing, one of which was to open up and establish a support network, which I have done through family, friends, a counsellor and blogging. This has made a huge difference for me and I am so grateful that I finally took that step. Another piece of advice I took from her was something I am going to share with you today. It is to visualize yourself 100% recovered and picture what your life would be like, then write it all down as your "Ideal Vision".


I took out a pen and paper, and as I started writing, the thoughts just started to flow and my ideal future came to life in front of me. When I looked at it, I saw what I wanted my life to look like and I made an effort to think about it as often as possible to remind myself what I was fighting for.

I wanted to share this with you all and hopefully inspire you to create your own ideal vision, whatever it may be; even if you don't struggle with an eating disorder. If there is something in your life that you want changed, visualize it and make it happen!

My Ideal Vision...

In complete recovery, I will:
  • Eat healthy foods that I love without counting the calories
  • Have a jar of peanut butter and a box of cereal in my cupboard at all times, have some when I want them and stop when I'm satisfied with no guilt
  • Graciously accept and enjoy the baked goods that people bring to my student government meetings
  • Go out for dinner or drinks with friends and order whatever I feel like having that night
  • Go out for sushi and eat more than sashimi, soup and salad
  • Enjoy one or two treats when my roommates bake 
  • Have tons of energy for my workouts because I am fuelling my body properly
  • Not be filled with fear and anxiety around holidays because I am worried about the abundance of fear food 
  • Be open with others about my past and my recovery so that I can inspire them to feel good about themselves
  • Enjoy being at my parents' home because I am surrounded by love and good, healthy food, not constantly worried about what is in their cupboards
  • Never turn down a social invitation because I am worried about being around fear foods
  • Blog about my experiences and inspire other people
  • Not think about food every minute of the day
  • Listen to my body, eat when I'm hungry, pay attention to what I'm eating and stop when I'm full
  • Be able to find a snack wherever I am when hunger strikes instead of having to carry safe snacks wherever I go
  • Not feel the urge binge after a night of going out and drinking and not wake up in a pit of self-loathing because I have not deprived myself all day
  • Never rudely refuse someone's thoughtful gift of food
  • Never make someone uncomfortable because of my eating habits
  • Think about what I truly want when I have a craving, breath, honour it and move on with my life
  • Be mindful of everything I am eating
  • Enjoy food
  • Enjoy life
  • Eat cake on my birthday
  • Eat until I'm full and satisfied on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter, no more, no less
  • Enjoy the company in social situation without anxiety about the food
  • Listen to my hunger signals and fuel my body no matter what time of day it is
  • Turn to friends, family or the blogging community when I need support instead using food or restriction
  • Try out delicious recipes and eat what I made instead of giving it all away
  • Workout because It makes me feel strong, not because I'm afraid of getting fat
  • Accept my body no matter what size it is
  • Focus on being kinder, less judgemental, more interesting and more balanced instead of focusing on the shape of my body – people will love you for you, not your looks
  • Never be afraid to try something new (except skydiving, that shit is scary)
  • Be proud of who I am – no more shame
  • Have no foods that are off-limits
  • Be able to tell people that it is not worth fixating on your weight or your body, and I know this because "I used to have an eating disorder"
I hope this inspired some people to envision the lives they want to live. It's never too late!

What do you see in your ideal future?