Friday 23 November 2012

I Love My Oats

Hello friends :)

So I bet you can't guess what this post is about from the title, huh? Yes, I love oats. I eat them everyday and don't seem to get sick of them. I know that I should probably be challenging myself with different kinds of breakfasts, but frankly, I can't think of anything I crave more or that leaves me more satisfied than a big bowl of hot, carby, steaming oats to start off my day.

I think if I'm going to challenge myself at breakfast time, it's going to be at a restaurant where I can get a big decadent plate of pancakes or french toast (it'll happen). I would also be open to challenging myself within the context of oats; if anyone has any equally satisfying but slightly more "scary" suggestions for toppings, add-ins, etc., I'm open to them!

Although I eat oats everyday, I switch them up all the time. I have a few favourites that I keep coming back to, but the base for pretty much all of them is the same:

- 1/3 cup oat bran
- 1/2 very ripe mashed banana
- 1 scoop protein powder (I use Vanilla SunWarrior)
- 1 + 1/3 cups water
- Splash of unsweetened almond milk
- Stevia to taste

Now for my favourite varieties :)
Oh, and that bowl is MASSIVE, so don't be fooled by the portion size!

Carrot Cake:




Add:
- 1 large carrot, grated
- cinnamon (I use tons)
- pinch of nutmeg

Apple Pie:



Add:
- 1/2 large apple, chopped
- cinnamon

Chocolate Monkey:




Add:
- 1 tbs. cocoa powder (I use ruddy red cocoa)
- 1/2 tsp. coconut extract
- 1/3 tsp. banana flavour (optional)

I also like to add frozen blueberries on top.

I have also been known to puree some cooked spinach into this one. It adds nutrients and is great if you need to use up some greens! The cocoa, coconut and banana flavours are strong enough that you don't even taste it.

Pumpkin Pie:

Yes, that is my attempt at a nutmeg heart. That's how much I love this oat bran :)

Add:
- 1/3 cup pureed pumpkin
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (or by preference)
- pinch of nutmeg


Add the base plus the extra ingredients for each type into a large glass bowl (I'm way too lazy to do them stove-top, so I'm a microwave gal). Microwave on high for about 12 minutes, stirring every 3-5 minutes.
Don't let the bowl overflow in the microwave! It has happened to me many times and it's messy!

From there, enjoy your hot and hearty breakfast :)

But...

Don't worry, the next time I'm out for breakfast and something like this is on the menu...


Source

...I think I can take a break from my beloved oats :)

Additionally, if I am ever invited to Heather's house for breakfast, I would HAVE to devour her famous pancakes!

Any breakfast staples you can't live without?