Sunday 10 June 2012

buckwheat berry breakfast

This breakfast has staying power for me; and it tastes good too.

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup buckwheat groats, uncooked; note: substitute any favorite grain or pseudo-grain (e.g.,  oat groats, oats, steel-cut oats, quinoa, even brown or black rice)
  • berries or another fruit, about 1/2 lb 
  • few spoonfuls of homemade soy yogurt or 1 spoon of WholeSoy plain unsweetened soy yogurt (it's stronger than home-made);  this is optional
  • ceylon cinnamon or other favorite spice
  • small amount of sweetener if you feel you need it


I soaked the buckwheat groats overnight, rinsed them, add the cinnamon, and then microwaved in water for 1 minute or 2.  I let that cool while prepping everything else.  If you are using rice, you would have to cook that.  You could always cook a batch ahead of time, refrigerate and take out 1/2 cup for this meal.  I'd cook steel-cut oats and oat groats, but would prep regular oats like the buckwheat.   Add the cinnamon while cooking.

For the fruit, I used 1/2 lb of strawberries and 1/2 box of blackberries (3 oz).   I cut up the strawberries.

 Here's what mine looked like:

Stir and eat!   I enjoyed it.

Nutritional info:  Calories 300;  protein 11 g (12%),  fat 4 g (11%), carbs 63 g (77%).