Thursday 28 February 2013

Product Review: The Simply Bar

Good Morning Everyone,

I have a review for one of my favourite protein bars today, The Simply Bar


This bar is great, because it is gluten-free, dairy free, vegan, low GI, high protein and high fibre. It is great for athletes and people who are health-conscious, and although I personally am trying to move away from obsessing over calorie and macromolecule contents in food, they are also low in calories and carbs.

They are great for people with certain allergies and dietary restrictions, and one of my favourite aspects of the Simply Bar is that they are low in sugar without using artificial sweeteners. I find that many protein bars are far too sweet, whether they are sweetened with sugar or substitutes, which only makes me crave sweets more! These have the perfect balance of flavour and sweetness.

Each bar contains 16 g protein, paired with 2-4g of fat, under 3 g of sugar, 4 g of fiber, and 160 calories or less. Each bar is based on non-GMO soy crisps along with organic brown rice syrup, and all the cocoa bars are made with organic cocoa mass.

The Simply Bar

Cinnamon Pecan:


I dug into this one first because, as most of you know, I'm a cinnamophile. I thought the flavours and textures worked together perfectly. It wasn't too sweet, but it had a great cinnamon kick, something I find to be lacking in many other cinnamon-flavoured bars.

Peanut Butter Chocolate:


This was another one of my favourites. I actually liked it even more than the same flavour in Quest bars. I found the cocoa and peanut butter flavours were very authentic and didn't taste artificial at all. It was like a dark chocolate peanut butter cup or something, only a lot less sweet.

Caramel Peanut:


This was the only bar I actually didn't like. I didn't taste the caramel in it at all, and although I like the fact that Simply Bars aren't sweet, this one really didn't have any sweetness to it at all. It did have big peanut chunks, but that's about the only thing I liked about it.

Cocoa with Raspberry:


This wasn't my favourite, but I still liked it. It actually had raspberry bits all through it rather than just a raspberry flavour, and the fruitiness offered a nice contrast to the other bars. If this had been raspberry and white chocolate, I would have just about died over it :)

Lemon Coconut:


Even though I have never really liked lemon desserts, this was one of my favourite Simply Bars. It reminded me a little of the Lemon Zest Luna bar, but without the sugary yogurt coating. I am also a huge coconut fan, so I loved the big pieces of chewy coconut in this bar. Definitely one of the better kinds!

Coffee Cocoa:


I am not a coffee drinker by any means, but I do like coffee-flavoured things, like ice cream and liquer. This bar reminded me of chocolate covered coffee beans, but it wasn't too sweet. Overall, I was a big fan, despite my coffee-averse ways.

Simply Whey

One of their newer products is the Simply Whey bar. They have very similar nutritional stats to the regular Simply Bars, but they are made with whey protein and come in different flvaours.


Apple Cinnamon:


I think I'm in love. This bar is crispy, crunchy, sticky, filled with chewy apple pieces and has the most amazing cinnamon flavour. Plus, it still is not too sweet! I just love how the company understands that protein bars don't need to be full of sugar or artificial sweeteners in order to taste good.

Coconut:


I thought I had hit the jackpot when I tried the Apple Cinnamon kind, but Coconut blew me out of the water and is by far my favourite product from this company. It was chewy, crispy and had an amazing coconut flavour. It was a little bit sweeter than the regular Simply Bars, but I actually found the sweetness to be perfect. I could almost compare this bar to a crispy macaroon; absolutely delicious!

Simply Protein Chips



I love these! They are super satisfying, crunchy and delicious. Every bag has 140 calories, 15 grams of protein and only 2 grams of sugar. They come in 2 flavours: Spicy Chili Kick and Savoury Herb and Garlic. I personally preferred the Spicy Chili kind. They had a bit of a spicy kick as well as a bit of a sweet note. Although, the herb flavour was very good too, especially if you like a little garlic. Oh, and did I mention they are made with pea protein?? So, if you have soy or dairy allergies, but want a good protein snack, dig in :)


I would be happy to answer any other questions you have about Simply products, or you can always contact the company directly.

Happy Snacking :)