Tuesday 5 February 2013

Snacks, Jars and Baking Fails

Hello Everyone,

First, I would just like to say thank you to everyone who commented on my post yesterday. ED recovery is a tricky thing to categorize and sometimes it is near impossible to know where you stand.


Now, on to this WIAW business. I have lots of pictures for you this week, although very few of them contain actual meals. A lot of my meals were just my old favourites, nothing exciting. At least, they may seem unexciting when you've seen a billion pictures of the same thing, but I will never get tired of peanut stir-fry or big plates of roasted squash :)

So where do I start? I guess meals are a pretty good place. I have been very satisfied in the oats department lately. I started off one morning with peanut butter and banana oats and my God was it good!

So creamy and tasty!

Then the jars began...

I could see the end of the Cinnamon Raisin Swirl jar in sight on Sunday night, so I may have had a few too many spoonfuls to speed the process along. Not sorry...


So I got to enjoy these amazing carrot cake oats in there Monday morning!


I was expecting that to be my sole OIAJ for this week, but then, by some wonderful twist of fate, my roommate almost threw out an empty jar of Kraft PB! She also gave me a very weird looked when I asked if I could have her old PB jar...

Now, I'm not normally a Kraft girl, but any excuse for OIAJ will do!


These were chocolate almond oats with almond butter on top, served in a PB jar! The portion looks tiny, but I promise that is only because the jar is so big!

Luckily, this beauty is on the horizon too...


Looks like it will be a hat trick week for OIAJ! (And that, my friends, is the only hockey terminology this Canadian knows...)

Breakfast has always been my favourite meal of the day, but I had a few good lunches and dinners too.

Coconut curry tempeh with a side of zucchini "chips"
Protein pasta stir-fried with zucchini and broccoli slaw. Mmm... pasta :)

And remember this french onion dip that I made with white beans and Greek yogurt?


Well it didn't last long...

On top of an omelette, with salsa
Especially since I was incorporating it into my snacks too...

Red pepper stuffed with french onion dip, salsa and green olives.

Aaaaannnnd there's the money shot :)

Speaking of snacks, I had a plan to make up some healthy baked good to snack on this week. I got the idea to use chickpea flour in muffins from Shannon a while ago and I have been formulating a recipe in my head ever since.

So, on Sunday I made the long awited... Banana Coconut Protein Muffin Tops!!!


Oh yeah, and I failed.

Please note, if you are going to use chickpea flour in sweet baked goods, well, don't. Or at least if you do, make it a small proportion and include lots of other flavours. It just doesn't taste (or smell) right.

I even replaced some of the flour with protein powder and threw in a very ripe banana and some coconut extract and they still had a funny taste. They also had a bit of a gummy texture.

I was so disappointed! I mean, they are so healthy and they should have been so delicious. They even look good!


Come on!

Luckily, muffin fails are nothing you can't fix by slathering them with peanut butter...



Or drowning them in cinnamony peanut flour "soup"...


What? There was no way I was going to waste anything with quality ingredients that was technically fit for human consumption! My cheap student brain just couldn't handle it.

Thankfully, some of my snacks lately have been pretty foolproof and amazing, like 88% cocoa dark chocolate from Endangered Species...


You just can't go wrong with chocolate...

Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday!

How do you salvage a baking fail?

What are your favourite snacks?