Tuesday 29 May 2012

good people

I've been so fortunate to spend the past couple of weekends with some really good people. The kind of people you can pick up a conversation with even after a year [ok, a couple] of not seeing one another. People who will ride for 3+ hours with you in 90 degree heat and standstill Chicago traffic...in a car without air conditioning. People who like to talk about things that matter but have no problem teasing you about your love for "Michigan hipster beer" and love being ridiculous.


I was in Chicago in what was quite possibly the hottest weekend of the year so far but had the most gracious hosts (who have the cutest Chicago apartment, complete with a mini greenhouse) and had fun despite the crazy hot weather (and the fact that my car's air conditioning is currently non-functional...yay summer). 


Highlights included dancing sweat detoxing in the gorgeous but non-air conditioned reception hall [if we look delirious, we probably were], battling NATO security...



and eating Longman and Eagle, which you should definitely visit if you're ever in the area {photo courtesy of ryan}. Such creative, thoughtful {and delicious} dishes, with tons of flavor. 


And this past weekend was spent in Bloomington, IN visiting my sister who is done with grad school and smack-dab in the middle of job searching and other important grown-up things. We brunched at Feast before turning into lobsters at the community pool. Their coffee is locally roasted and seriously amazing but probably shouldn't be consumed hot on a 95 degree day. 


Definitely in need of some detoxing via kale smoothies and homemade gazpacho after 2 weekends of good food and good fun. This is definitely my new favorite thing to make because it takes 10 seconds and includes a ton of veggies.


To make, add the following into a blender:
  • 32 oz can of tomatoes (or use your own!)
  • 1/2 cup cilantro
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1/2 jalapeƱo pepper
  • 1/2 cup onion
  • salt and pepper to taste
Blend until mixture reaches desired consistency. Eat with a spoon or drink up. 


It was so good to see friends I don't see often during this concentrated period of time; why is keeping in touch so difficult sometimes? I really need to be more intentional because good people are worth the extra effort. I think I'm especially mindful of this as I'm currently living in a city where I know very few people, and I miss having the sense of community I've experienced at other points in life. At the same time, I know that life isn't static, and that's why friendships change and people change and growth happens [incredibly grateful for all of these things]. 

Hope everyone has a good pseudo-Monday. Here's to a 4 day week!