Sunday 13 May 2012

veggie mania

Last week I was frustrated when I took 2 hours to prepare my next day's meals.  So I decided to cook a big pot of veggies on the weekend so I wouldn't have to cook them every night.  Then I just have to make my salads for the next day and that doesn't take too long.  Well, I kind of went overboard with the veggies.  Holy cow.  I had 2 pressure cookers going at once, followed by two more batches.  I didn't take pictures as I didn't get started until late so was trying not to dawdle too much.  Here's what I put in the veggies:

  • less than 1/4 cup each of purple barley, rye berries, black rice, and buckwheat.  Cooked these up separately in a regular pan (not pressure cooker), starting with the barley, then adding the rye berries and black rice, then the buckwheat (in reverse order of cooking time).  I added cinnamon of course.   
  • collards from the freezer.  we still have last summer's batches.  they still taste okay.  one more is left in the freezer.  then we'll just wait for the garden to produce again.
  • 2 onions
  • 3 different kinds of mushrooms
  • chives from the garden
  • canned tomatoes (1 16 oz) from the garden
  • asparagus
  • 3 broccoli heads
  • a head of cauliflower
That made 12 servings, defined as the bowl size I freeze them in.   I hope they freeze and thaw okay.  I left out a few for the first few days of the week.  maybe they will last through next week too.   I think this was about twice as much as I want or need to make at once so next time I will buy less veggies and it won't be such a production and I'll have one week's worth.