Friday 11 January 2013

Friday Five and New Workout!

Hello Everyone,

I was just too busy to post yesterday. I tried my very best and I still couldn't finish my readings for Resource Economics! It could be a rough semester...

On the bright side, it's Friday! I don't have any classes today so I am going to catch up on some homework, run some errands and do some kind of quick and sweaty workout :)


1. I have started growing my sprouts! I am only at the first stage right now, so I don't know how they are going to turn out, but I will do a full sprouty post when I get the hang of it. I'm pretty excited! I love sprouts and I have been wanting to grow some of my own food for a long time now.


2. Yesterday, I did a 5-minute plank at the gym. That's a PR for me! Woo hoo!! I guess I just got caught up in the Les Miserables soundtrack I was listening to (yes, I'm obsessed, I need to join some kind of support group) and the minutes flew by! I feel pretty badass :) That's another item on my 2013 Bucket List!

3. I read this article yesterday and it really hit home for me. This is something that needed to be said a long time ago. I have often felt judged by girls who feel that they are somehow superior because that don't wear makeup, style their hair or wear heels when they go out. There is this idea in society that anyone whose appearance isn't "natural" enough is fake. I totally support girls who feel most beautiful when they have not changed their appearance at all and choose to present this side of themselves to the world everyday. However, I think that if dying your hair, throwing on some lipstick and rocking a pair of killer stilettos makes you feel your most beautiful, then that is what is natural for you and it is nobody's business to judge you.

Just for the record, this...


Is just as beautiful as this...


I have struggled with cystic acne since I was about 12 and it has never fully gone away. I believe that this is one of the root causes of my self-esteem issues and I have always been hyper-aware of the way my face looks to others. I am not my skin problems, so if I wear some foundation and make it such that the first thing people notice about me is my pretty eyes and not a massive zit, then I think I'm showing my true self, not hiding it. I don't consider myself super high-maintenance, but I think I look prettiest with 2 coats of mascara, I don't even remember my natural hair colour and, let's face it, for most of us a fit, toned physique is among the many incentives to workout.

This has been a bit of a rant, but what I'm trying to say is that if you want to be "natural" then all the power to you, but if you want to enhance your natural beauty because it makes you feel like a million bucks, don't let anyone tell you you're wrong.

4.  I took a fall down the hardwood stairs at my parents' house 2 whole weeks ago and my tailbone is still giving me grief! It is definitely better than it was, but I still can't do higher-impact cardio or sit on it certain ways. I have just been walking on an inclined treadmill for my cardio. I really hit it hard. A warning to everyone to not wear wool socks on hardwood!

5. My "Workouts" tab is up and running with some of my quick, at-home workouts. I will be adding to this over time, and today I have one more to share with you guys. I used two 12 pound dumbells for the squats and I know that everyone does burpees differently, but I do my burpees with a push-up after I jump my feet out to plank position. I did this workout in 16 minutes and 24 seconds. 


Let me know if you try it and like it... or hate it, whichever!

TGIF! Have a great weekend everybody!

Are you 100% natural or do like to enhance your beauty with a little somethin' somethin'?

Have you ever bruised your tailbone after a rough fall?

Plank record?