Tuesday 8 January 2013

WIAW: Back to School

Well, yesterday was my first class day of the new semester and I already feel completely overwhelmed. How is this possible?? 

Last semester, I had 6 classes instead of the usual 5 and it was pretty tough. I expected that since I only have 5 classes this semester, it would be easier. However, I wasn't prepared for how heavy some of my classes would be. I am currently taking Resource Economics, Aquatic Systems, Environmental Economics, Cost-Benefit Analysis and a research project in Environmental Sciences.

Our Resource Economics professor already has us up to our necks in readings. Seriously, the reading schedule for this class is 3 times as heavy as the hardest class I have taken up to this point. He actually said the words, "I own you." It is going to be a great semester. If my posts are a little shorter and fewer in number this semester and I don't seem to be commenting on others' blogs as much, I haven't disappeared, I'm probably just drowning in homework...

One good thing about this semester is my schedule. I generally have Mondays and Fridays off and all I have on Wednesdays is a 2-hour lab. It means that I have very busy Tuesdays and Wednesdays, but my classes are scheduled such that I can actually come home for meals (I live very close to campus) and even fit in some gym time in between!


Unfortunately, I don't have anything incredibly exciting to show you for WIAW. Since I am back to living on my own and doing my own shopping I have really just been enjoying some of my favourite healthy meals that I didn't have when I was at my parents' house.

It was weird, I usually love having lots of vegetables at every meal, but over the holidays, all I wanted was fruit, yogurt and carbs. A lot of days, I ended up having yogurt bowls with fruit and nut butter for 2 meals of the day and then whatever my family was eating for dinner.

Over the break, this constituted 90% of my caloric consumption...





These days though, I have been eating big plates of roasted brussels sprouts, veggie stir-fries, spinach and mushroom omelettes and, of course, plenty of roasted squash.

These are just a few of the meals I have had over the last day or two...

Lentil, cabbage, zucchini and mushroom stir-fry with peanut sauce.

Roasted buttercup squash, sesame shrimp and dollop of ketchup :)

Brussels sprouts, broccoli slaw and turkey bacon roasted and drizzled with
balsamic vinegar

Spinach, mushroom and turkey bacon omelette, topped with salsa

I have also been back to having my favourite oat bran in the mornings! Yesterday morning, it was chocolate coconut oats with peanut butter on top.


This morning I am definitely feeling the pumpkin oats that I prepped last night :)

I have been snacking on plenty of dark chocolate lately, including my beloved Giddy Yoyo.


I also took some of these babies to class with me yesterday, as they are very portable and very, very delicious.


Of course I have also been working away at the goodies that Alex sent me in my care package. Note to self: Luna Protein bars are delicious! Especially the cookie dough kind; it was like they actually took a roll of Pillsbury chocolate chip, coated it in chocolate and called it a protein bar!

Anyway, I have to go so that I can swim through my ocean of readings.

Toodles!

What is your favourite veggie-packed meal?